Main Menu

Steering column

Started by 74CudaChief, June 28, 2017, 01:37:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74CudaChief

Has anyone tried to take a new-ish challenger steering column ant put it onto a 70-74 Cuda for the benefit of having up to date controls?
Is it even possible to do?
If it is possible I would really like to do it.
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

Cuda Cody

Anything is possible.... but getting it to function might be a bit tricky.  What would you anticipate being able to control from the steering wheel?  Most of the stuff in an E-Body is pretty basic and would need to be updated or replace if it was going to be computer controlled.  Radio would be one that I think could be done without to much trouble.

GoodysGotaCuda

The new column is based off of a can-bus system and will need something to control the momentary inputs for many of the buttons. This will be a challenge for, somewhat, of a questionable benefit.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

74CudaChief

I would like to control the wipers and deadlights for sure and the radio/phone. Since I'm building a resto-mod I would like to have the new cars features that go with a new-ish Challenger. I also like the idea of having a airbag "Just in case".

I know that I will have to get the steering column, computer and wire harness, but I have no idea for sure what parts I will need to make it all work.
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

anlauto

Think it would be easier to buy a new Challenger :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 74CudaChief on June 28, 2017, 03:46:56 PM
I would like to control the wipers and deadlights for sure and the radio/phone. Since I'm building a resto-mod I would like to have the new cars features that go with a new-ish Challenger. I also like the idea of having a airbag "Just in case".

I know that I will have to get the steering column, computer and wire harness, but I have no idea for sure what parts I will need to make it all work.

It's not that simple. A CAN-bus system of a factory application requires many modules to function, I would be very surprised if anything worked with a just steering module. I expect that steering module to get an input, send that message to a body control module and work the wipers. Send another message to the radio to control it, the factory radio is looking for a CAN message to from the steering module to react to it.

It will not be very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

The amount of sensors and computers would be pretty hard to do.  I'm sure it could be done, but it's over my head.   :sorry:

XeGnome