Main Menu

Steering wheel cap resto

Started by blown motor, March 02, 2017, 08:54:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I redid the silver on the steering wheel centre cap last night. It took me about an hour and half to mask the little sucker. It's not as perfect as I would like but it's a lot better than it was.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Looks great!!!  Nicely done.   :yes:

Have you tried using a syringe with paint?  In places where I need to paint that are recessed I load up a syringe with paint and drag it around slowly while applying the paint.  It flows out perfectly even and does a nice job.  Only takes a few minutes to do a 3 spoke pad.  Don't look at my silver paint.  I grabbed the wrong color and did it over.  But you get the idea about the trick.  Just in case next time you want to skip the masking.   :D

blown motor

Interesting idea. Is it hard to get thin even coverage? I'm assuming the paint would spread better if it is thinned. Do you have to thin it?

Cuda Cody

Yes, thinned paint works best, but rattle can paint is pretty thin to begin with so I don't have to thin it.  Inks or quality paint would most likely need to be thinned.

Quote from: blown motor on March 02, 2017, 09:11:39 AM
Interesting idea. Is it hard to get thin even coverage? I'm assuming the paint would spread better if it is thinned. Do you have to thin it?

headejm

I rubbed a little of the silver paint off of my center cap. What paint do you recommend to best match the original?

Cuda Cody

What did you use @blown motor for paint?  Yours looks like a great match!

blown motor

It's actually VHT high temperature Caliper paint. I used it because that's what I had. I sprayed it out on paper first to see the colour and it looked near perfect.

usraptor

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 02, 2017, 09:06:32 AM

Have you tried using a syringe with paint?  In places where I need to paint that are recessed I load up a syringe with paint and drag it around slowly while applying the paint.  It flows out perfectly even and does a nice job.  Only takes a few minutes to do a 3 spoke pad.  Don't look at my silver paint.  I grabbed the wrong color and did it over.  But you get the idea about the trick.  Just in case next time you want to skip the masking.   :D

Good idea!  I'll have to try that.  My effort at masking and using paint pins was a disaster.  :pullinghair:

Cuda Cody

When I go to the store to buy needles I always feel like I have to tell them what I'm using it for.   :huh:  They just look at me strange.  Not sure if they don't care or think I'm lying.   :haha:

Shoooter

Wow that's a great idea. What do you use to make the steering wheel black again. Did you just use a cleaner?

Cuda Cody

There's a few different cleaners you can use and if needed, SEM makes a nice paint that sticks to rubber.

Quote from: Shoooter on March 03, 2017, 09:58:21 PM
Wow that's a great idea. What do you use to make the steering wheel black again. Did you just use a cleaner?

Shoooter

Are these medical needles? What size works the best for paint flow

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 03, 2017, 03:54:26 PM
When I go to the store to buy needles I always feel like I have to tell them what I'm using it for.   :huh:  They just look at me strange.  Not sure if they don't care or think I'm lying.   :haha:

Well, Cody, they know that you are addicted to something like the rest of us. Tell them you're a Mopar e-body addict they'll believe and understand that lol

Shoooter

Is there a certain colour you use Cody? I picked up my needles today

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 02, 2017, 09:06:32 AM

Funny, I've been suggesting this for years.. No one ever seemed to think it was a great idea..... I first saw it done with being given a tour of Trim Parts in Lebanon Ohio....  They were painting emblems.... Hundreds & hundreds of emblems... Fast, easy & great results....