Main Menu

Steering wheel cap resto

Started by blown motor, March 02, 2017, 08:54:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I used Eastwood rally wheel spray paint and it was a failure as far as I'm concerned.

I'll post some pictures but my problem was not the method or my syringe it was the fact spray paint was way too hard to work with in my opinion.

It would come out to fast and then pool up.

I would have to scrape it off cuz it looked horrible and this is what the final product look like.

@Cuda Cody

Cody...You think I could go to a local craft store and try to find some silver paint in a tube or something and then try this method?  I'm usually pretty good with painting but this was not working for me.

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

nsmall

@1 Wild R/T

Thanks buddy.  I tried to tag you but I don't seem to know how to tag it you.

Neil

1 Wild R/T

Looks to me like you did just fine..... I've used Testors for small project for years.... They sell small quantities, pretty cheap, it holds up very well.... Lots of colors... It flows through the syringe just fine.... Whats not to like? 

Cuda Cody

Claudia

I restored mine with vinyl spray paint and Testors model paint as well.

usraptor

That looks great!   :twothumbsup:  I've gonna do mine in near future with Cody's syringe method.  :twothumbsup:

Burdar

I just got done painting the ring around a reproduction cap.  The cap had three casting "nubs" in the area that needs to be painted.  I cut off the "nubs" with a knife but the spots are still slightly visible.  The masking went really well.  I ripped painters tape into little strips and worked my way around the cap. I pressed the tape strips into the recessed area with a butter knife.  That worked perfectly to get the tape down into channel.  Once the recessed channel had tape in it I masked of the rest of the cap.  Right before painting I used a utility knife and cut around the taped edges in the recessed channel and removed the tape.  This entire process only took 20 minutes. I didn't try to mask up to the paint line.  I just covered everything with tape...then cut out the tape in the area that gets painted.  You get a nice crisp paint line this way.

I sprayed three really light coats of Rallye wheel paint.(waited 10 minutes between each mist coat) Then I sprayed a coat of satin clear.  The key is light coats so the paint can't bleed around the tape edge.

anlauto

One coat of Krylon "Dull Aluminum" works well too  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

I didn't have any dull aluminum. I used what I had. In the past, trying to get coverage in one coat has caused bleed through. A few very light coats insures that the paint isn't thick enough to bleed.

We just had a post about making stupid mistakes. Trying to get good paint coverage in one quick step is the mistake I make quite often.

anlauto

The Krylon stuff goes on real nice it one light coat...I use it quite a bit and highly recommend it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

Shoooter

looks great. I'm going to try mine this weekend coming up!

CudaMoparRay