Main Menu

Steering Wheel / Pistol Grip Suggestions

Started by dave73, June 05, 2019, 08:56:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Looking for some suggestions on the finishing details of my interior. My interior is all black (seats, carpet, dash), standard black gauge cluster, a stock 73 steering wheel and currently has a carbon fiber pistol grip handle. Not loving the carbon fiber pistol grip shifter, looks too modern. Thinking of going to a wood grip but also had plans of going to a PG Classic tuff wheel but fear they won't mesh well. Maybe I go wood steering wheel and wood grip? I like the snakeskin grip Dale's cuda shop sells but again, that probably won't match the steering wheel at all.

Was looking at grant wood wheel and then wood grip, are these wheels any good? Heard the bad reviews of the black plastic but not match about the wood. Would like a slightly smaller diameter than the current stock wheel. Also not willing to spend the small fortune for a rimblow. Would also like the grip and wheel to match. Thanks in advance.

303 Mopar

This may help you visualize a tuff wheels with wooden pistol grip.

dave73

That does look good. Do you have a wood gauge cluster? The wood handle would be the old part with that finish in my entire interior

303 Mopar

No, stock black gauges. IMO the pistol grip looks better without the console too.

dave73

Yup, don't have a console. Looks so much better

gzig5

There are at least a couple guys that make custom grip panels for the shifter from various species of wood.  You could probably get just about any wood you favor.  Here is one sample. 

http://idlehandswoodwork.com/index.html

There are tons of pics if you google "custom mopar pistol grips".

I have some nice burl walnut that I want to carve when I do my four speed swap.

Husk Challenger

@Daveh  sells a nice Grant "Rimblow" steering wheel ------> https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/new-steering-wheel-and-install-kit/11243/

Smaller diameter, wood, and better grip than originals imho.

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Daveh

Yep I still have it if your interested.  Let me know.  New never installed.