Main Menu

steering wheel restoration?

Started by ec_co, January 21, 2017, 11:59:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

any tips/tricks/guides? outer 'woodgrain' (plastic) and the inner rubber would be nice to know how to do right and not screw it up
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Cuda Cody

You and me both my brother!  I've had very little success when I've tried to restore them.  So here's what I think it takes.  Sand, clean, epoxy repair, use a mechanical pencil (without led) to carve out each detailed wood grain (very time consuming), two step paint to get the right look and then lacquer.  I've tried a few different quick things like the hack saw or wire wheel, but doesn't look right.

I always end up turning it over to an expert.   There's 3 or 4 of them out there that do good work.  The prices range from the low $300's to the over $600 for a standard wood grain wheel to over $1,200 for a Rimblow. 

If anyone has a technique that works I would be happy to test it out on some ruined wheels I have.  If we can (as a group) get this figured out I'll make a video so we all can see how it's done and maybe do it yourself.  But here's a list of people that I've seen or heard that do good work:

Doug Lepak
stwheels@shaw.ca
https://www.facebook.com/TheSteeringWheelGuy/
Doug has a good reputation of doing top quality work.  Also on the higher side of the price range and often booked up for months.  But that's true with most of the best in any industry.

David Tays
http://www.rimblowsteeringwheels.com/
I've not had him do any work for me, but what I've seen looks good.  Anyone have any idea of his prices and turn around times?

Brice and his Dad Jerome
jetsports36@hotmail.com
Sell on ebay with the user name "jetsports".  Probably one of the better valve restorers as most his wheel looks really nice and he does not charge very much.  Not sure they do restorations for people or just restore them and put them on ebay.  But his wood grain wheels run in the mid $300 (no core needed) and Rimblows often sell in the $650 range (again, not core).  [ebay]351901464430[/ebay]  &   [ebay]351901468690[/ebay]

Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration
http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/
I have not seen any of his work in person nor do I know much about him.  Maybe someone else can chime in on his work.

I've attached a photo of a SUPER low mile original wood grain wheel.  If anyone has any suggestion on how to duplicate it, I'm wanting to learn too!

Roadman

I used Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration on a 65 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible  with beautiful results.  Not cheap though.  600 smackers.    :bigmoney:

anlauto

I had one does by David Tays.....about a six month turnaround...nice results  :bradsthumb:

I had one done by Doug Lepak.....Absolute work of art. :alan2cents:

I usually just "freshen up" the wheel if it's not cracked.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

I've heard good things about Gary's but have not used him.  I do need to get a wheel done so I'm interested in where this goes.  :popcorn:

realn96

This is the first time I've used  "steering Wheels by Mike" I'm happy with it, Fast turn around and only $285!

750-h2

Sergio Palumbo owner of "Old School Auto" in Ottawa Ontario also restores our wooden wheels. Has anyone here Seen his work?

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 02, 2017, 05:04:26 PM
Sergio Palumbo owner of "Old School Auto" in Ottawa Ontario also restores our wooden wheels. Has anyone here Seen his work?

I haven't looked close at his wheels, but I can say that he's a great guy ! Helped me out more then once with parts :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

Good to know. I will see if he has pics of his work. 

ec_co

@realn96  was that price just for the outer + the metal spokes, or also the rubber spoke overlay and cap?
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

realn96

soundcontrol

Check out Pat's steering wheel resto on his Charger here, this guy is the master fabricator.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/modern-bullitt-build.80384/page-22

fc7cuda

Sure seems like there's a lot of people/businesses doing wood wheel restoration.  Great to have several choices.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Please note the photo of the original wheel by Cuda Cody. A lot of the resto wheels do not look like that at all.
Sheldon

erik70rt

I've used Gary's before.  Decent work, but the wood grain is no where near original. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.