Main Menu

steering wheel sizes

Started by dave73, October 10, 2017, 08:40:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

I've began looking for a new steering wheel. I currently have a stock 2 spoke on my 73. I'm thinking of going grant - they have a few bolt ons as well as adapter kits readily available. A lot of there wheels are 14" opposed to the stock 15" - will I run into gauge visibility issues running a 14?

Anyone running a grant tuff wheel knock off? How do you like it? Model 846 is black rubber, 246 is wood.

Chryco Psycho

A lot of people switch to the Tuff wheel for the extra clearance
how it affects visability of the gauges would depend on your height

303 Mopar

PG Classics has the best grant type wheel IMO. It's nice and thick with good stitching. 

http://www.pgclassic.com/256-bs-c-mopar-a-b-c-e-body-leather-tuff-steering-wheel/

Burdar

I just bought the PG Classics wheel.  The polishing job on the spokes is pretty crappy.  I ended up sanding mine to give it a brushed look instead of trying to repolish the wheel.  I was afraid of hitting the leather with the buffing wheel.  Also, the horn mechanism mounting holes aren't drilled correctly.  I think it comes drilled metric.  Be careful not to break off your tap in the wheel when you change it to the correct thread. 

I don't like the look of the Grant wheel.  The vinyl covering extends too far up the spokes and looks odd.  The PG wheel just extends the leather up the spokes a little bit which looks much nicer IMO.

Brads70

Quote from: Burdar on October 10, 2017, 09:46:31 AM
I just bought the PG Classics wheel.  The polishing job on the spokes is pretty crappy.  I ended up sanding mine to give it a brushed look instead of trying to repolish the wheel.  I was afraid of hitting the leather with the buffing wheel.  Also, the horn mechanism mounting holes aren't drilled correctly.  I think it comes drilled metric.  Be careful not to break off your tap in the wheel when you change it to the correct thread. 

I don't like the look of the Grant wheel.  The vinyl covering extends too far up the spokes and looks odd.  The PG wheel just extends the leather up the spokes a little bit which looks much nicer IMO.

:iagree:  I also have the PG classics tuff wheel. It's soft leather not molded foam like the grant wheel and it's 14 1/2" OD . Like Burdar said it needs some work when you get it. Not a horrble amount just annoying  that they didn't quite " finish it" as well as could be. 

dave73

Thanks Brad - that's the wheel I'll go with. What horn button do you have? Is that specific to a 70?

Brads70

Quote from: dave73chally on October 10, 2017, 01:39:45 PM
Thanks Brad - that's the wheel I'll go with. What horn button do you have? Is that specific to a 70?

It's from the 70,71 rim blow wheel ,a custom creation to fit on a tuff wheel.

JS29

Quote from: Brads70 on October 10, 2017, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: dave73chally on October 10, 2017, 01:39:45 PM

It's from the 70,71 rim blow wheel ,a custom creation to fit on a tuff wheel.
I have one of those, But with the fish on mine!

Burdar

The standard horn button is a little plain. I've been thinking about looking for a Fratzog emblem to attach to mine. Not sure if that would look good or not.

The stock horn mechanism on your two spoke wheel will work on the tuff wheel.

I get PG Classics discount codes by email a lot. Most are 25% off but every once in awhile, they are 30%. That's a good discount. I'd wait until they have another sale to order the wheel.

RUNCHARGER

I find the tuffies do block the rallye gauges but it's no big deal to work around it. The better feel and easier entry and exit is worth it.
Sheldon

Burdar

I wonder if that's why they didn't offer it from the factory? There had to be a reason.

dave73

Quote from: Burdar on October 10, 2017, 04:49:55 PM
The standard horn button is a little plain. I've been thinking about looking for a Fratzog emblem to attach to mine. Not sure if that would look good or not.

I get PG Classics discount codes by email a lot. Most are 25% off but every once in awhile, they are 30%. That's a good discount. I'd wait until they have another sale to order the wheel.

That could look cool. I was thinking of having a Dodge script decal made for the center when I get mine

303 Mopar

Quote from: dave73chally on October 11, 2017, 11:34:39 AM
Quote from: Burdar on October 10, 2017, 04:49:55 PM

That could look cool. I was thinking of having a Dodge script decal made for the center when I get mine

Hit up @Mickm, he makes custom horn buttons for both Challenger and Cuda with several options.  https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-for-sale/9/nupar-horn-button-new-and-exciting/396/msg4173#msg4173

I have this one on my Cuda.

JS29

I will vouch for NUPAR, nice to deal with to. :twothumbsup:

MOPAR MITCH

A nice thing about smaller diameter steering wheels is that the smaller you go, the quicker you can turn your steering.  Of course, power assist is most helpful.   I've tried the factory Mopar Tuff wheel (~15" dia)... to big, and very slipper... poor grip.   I've settled on a Superior brand deep dish (~5"), removing the factory extension, slightly bending the turn signal lever, and the diameter is 11.5"... thick padded... fantastic for quicker steering assist (and with my T/A ps box with corrected "70 C-body idler arm, (also known as the "fast ratio" idler arm for those who don't know it by now).    Yes, it does impose on the gauge view... but the performance advantage is my preference (maybe someday get a tilt column... $$$).