Main Menu

Stock steering wheel install without crush can?

Started by timdp, September 13, 2019, 10:12:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

timdp

Have a '71 Challenger and have removed the crush can (I have a short reach and legs) and am currently using a Grant adapter and steering wheel. Would like to switch to an original Challenger two spoke wheel (pic below).

Will the Tuff wheel adapter fit the stock Challenger steering wheel? Looks like it will fit but I would like to be sure before ordering one.

Brads70

It will fit but I'm not sure that it makes the steering wheel too close to the dash pad?  :notsure:
I seem to remember others using it though? I think that was in an A-Body though?  :thinking:

70 Challenger Lover

Without the crush can, won't the turn signal lever be too close to the wheel and hit your knuckles?

anlauto

YES..the bolt pattern on the two wheels are the same but you might have other annoying issues as mentioned....  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

timdp

Thanks guys! I fugure the Tuff adapter is about the same length as the Grant adapter that is already on the car (see pic). Its also possible that the turn indicator lever got a little bend in it back in the '80s when I put this steering wheel in.

Quote from: Brads70 on September 14, 2019, 02:28:26 AM
It will fit but I'm not sure that it makes the steering wheel too close to the dash pad?  :notsure:
I seem to remember others using it though? I think that was in an A-Body though?  :thinking:

Dash pad, what dash pad...:)

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on September 14, 2019, 02:36:14 AM
Without the crush can, won't the turn signal lever be too close to the wheel and hit your knuckles?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Looks like an old tube television or maybe a coffee table?

timdp

What, you are not noticing the fuel line to a carb sitting on a Mopar tunnel ram top in the upper right corner? That thing sticking out of the hood would be the intake of course!

Quote from: anlauto on September 14, 2019, 11:33:16 AM
What's sticking out the hood ?

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on September 14, 2019, 11:48:59 AM
Looks like an old tube television or maybe a coffee table?

Katfish

70 Challenger Lover

Fern

At one point, I used a b body crush can (it's shorter than an e body).  It did put the wheel closer to dash and give more room,  the problem I had is when you move the wheel closer to the dash it also drops down closer to your knees since the wheel is at an angle. I just went back to the original crush can and a smaller diameter wheel.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Fern on September 14, 2019, 04:25:24 PM
At one point, I used a b body crush can (it's shorter than an e body).  It did put the wheel closer to dash and give more room,  the problem I had is when you move the wheel closer to the dash it also drops down closer to your knees since the wheel is at an angle. I just went back to the original crush can and a smaller diameter wheel.

I do wish these cars had a tilt wheel. Just a few degree tilt up would be nice to get in and out. I don't mind it too much once I'm seated. I would also prefer a wheel that was maybe 1" less in diameter but with manual steering, I need all the leverage I can get.

JS29

I installed a tuff wheel in mine, it dose make it more interesting being manual steering.   :alan2cents:

timdp

Looked at my turn indicator lever and I did bend it a bit to clear the steering wheel. TUFF wheel adapter arrived today. Will hopefully get it on tomorrow.

timdp

Tuff wheel adapter arrived and steering wheel is now on the car. Thanks guys!