Main Menu

Sun Shades for eBodies...any luck?

Started by kawahonda, June 27, 2018, 12:52:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

I love my dash too much for it to get any cracks. I'm having a hell of a time finding Sun Shades for a 70 Challenger. I'd like to have something better than the "roll up" kind that never seems to stay put.

What's everyone using?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

ToxicWolf

If mine is in the sun it's covered by California Covers.  I protect the entire car.  :haha:

303 Mopar

I just put a towel over mine.  I've also seen some dash covers that velcro on that look nice.  https://www.carid.com/1970-dodge-challenger-dash-covers/

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

70/6chall

I too am very nervous about subjecting my OE 3 speaker dash pad to SoCal temperature changes, cool at night and extremely hot during the day. On the outside of car 2 flannel lined covers. Inside quilted heat reflecting windshield sun shade, the upholsterer who did my seats also made a custom dash mat color of interior w/ name "Challenger" embroidered into mat on passengers side. I also had him make a cover mat for the rear package tray. Same black material as dash mat, that covers package tray and my rear speakers and covers then goes 3/4 of the way down the back seat. Held up with Velcro strips up under rear window. No issues with dash pad or the 6x9 speakers in rear.  Then every plastic piece in the interior is  treated every other month to a coating of 303 vinyl preservative.
   Thanks,   Al

kawahonda

There has to be a sunshade that fits like gold in our cars that sets up in seconds. Putting a dash pad on it just isn't right, because then you get lazy and want to wind up keeping it there, then people think you're hiding stuff underneath and you miss looking at the nice dash pad!

There's got to be something out there. Otherwise, I guess it's going to the auto parts store, buying the $15 "roll' type for a small windshield and just dealing with it. Sounds like that is the option. Not a bad one, but just was wondering what's all out there.

kawahonda

Quote from: 70/6chall on June 27, 2018, 09:35:36 PM
I too am very nervous about subjecting my OE 3 speaker dash pad to SoCal temperature changes, cool at night and extremely hot during the day. On the outside of car 2 flannel lined covers. Inside quilted heat reflecting windshield sun shade, the upholsterer who did my seats also made a custom dash mat color of interior w/ name "Challenger" embroidered into mat on passengers side. I also had him make a cover mat for the rear package tray. Same black material as dash mat, that covers package tray and my rear speakers and covers then goes 3/4 of the way down the back seat. Held up with Velcro strips up under rear window. No issues with dash pad or the 6x9 speakers in rear.  Then every plastic piece in the interior is  treated every other month to a coating of 303 vinyl preservative.
   Thanks,   Al

Thanks Al, I just ordered the spray. It seems very beneficial at this point to get some quality vinyl cleaner and spray.

nsmall

I know this doesn't answer your question but for anyone who comes across this, Alan at ultimate rides dashes says DO NOT use Armor All on your dash as it actually traps heat which can cause premature cracking.  He recommends spraying some pledge on a rag, then wiping down the dash.

kawahonda

Agreed. I never use armor all. The dash deserves a cleaner only. and I use a mcgueirs type. Doesn't really change the finish, just keeps it clean which looks great.

But it does need some sort of bloackage protection.  :console:

303 Mopar

I too use the 303 spray, after all they came up with this stuff in space!  https://www.autogeek.net/303.html

70/6chall

I fully agree with Niel (nsmall) never use Armour All, I found out on a hot day, like here in SoCal. When faithfully  applied to the plastic interior panels of our cars, it has a greasy consistency and actually cooks your interior on a closed up car. I started a regimen of an Armour All application back when the car was only 3 years old (that's damned near new). The interior in no time at all started cracking and chalking up real bad. I gave up on it and called the Armour All Company and complained, they told me, must have been used incorrectly??!! EXCUSE ME!! I ran into 303 quite a while ago online from fellow classic car owners and what they use to retard deterioration. My dash pad has been in now for 20 years and it looks great, no make that beautiful. That was also my reason for the change from a Burnt Orange interior to a fully Black interior, Oh and a real budget cost. "Kawahonda" you'll really start swearing by the 303 not swearing at it.      Thanks,   Al

BIGSHCLUNK