Main Menu

Tail light housing finish 70 Challenger

Started by Mopar5, June 28, 2020, 05:26:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Looking for the correct look for the  tail light housings.To me they appear to be a steel or pot metal with galvanizing? Has any one painted these and if so what color or is it better just to clean them up and leave natural?

RUNCHARGER

Not galvanized. I've always just cleaned them up.
Sheldon

Floyd

I just had a couple sets soda blasted and that cleaned them up pretty nicely.  Any rust stains will have to be addressed separately.  Perhaps a very light media blast with glass beads.  Crushed glass would be too aggressive IMO.  Funny, I sweated the appearance of the entire housing, but very little of it is visible once installed.   I used rustoleum "aluminum" to retouch the inside reflective area on those that needed it.

anlauto

I've see some have black overspray on them as well from what I supposed was the chrome trim blackout...never could prove it so I just left them the silver colour.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

The top edge of the housing face was painted black.  I think the overspray came from that.

Mopar5

Mopar5

Thanks everyone,That brings me to another question. What is the sheen of the black painted part of the bezel ,Is it flat or semi gloss. I was thinking about using SEM trim black.

R/T's 4 R/P

Yes. SEM trim black.
Scuff the surface that will be painted with a scotch pad, so the paint can grab.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

anlauto

Quote from: Floyd on June 28, 2020, 08:10:57 PM
The top edge of the housing face was painted black.  I think the overspray came from that.

I typed my response weird....I didn't mean the "black-out on the chrome"....I meant the black out where the chrome bolts on to  :drunk:

...and I agree SEM trim black is nice for the chrome bezel black out  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

Floyd