Main Menu

Those with fiberglass SE/Gran Coupe headliners, got a Q for you...

Started by shawge, July 02, 2017, 09:30:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

shawge

Doing a test fit of the fiberglass board prior to adding headliner material.  My problem is that the board seems like it needs a significant amount of force to get the center near the braces -  so much so that I would be afraid of crushing the material.  How close is the board supposed to be to the roof? 

Thanks all.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

Never dealt with the fiberglass replacement but the original fiberboard one is supported by the dome light bracket in the overhead console.... The headliner height is fixed by that bracket/mount...

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 02, 2017, 10:49:39 AM
Never dealt with the fiberglass replacement but the original fiberboard one is supported by the dome light bracket in the overhead console.... The headliner height is fixed by that bracket/mount...

And to add, there are 3 points of attachment on each side that also support and position the headliner board. Two clips for set the shoulder belt holders and one for the clothes hanger clip.

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I put a repro glass one in my SE and it sort of jumped into place. I can't remember how close it was, probably within half an inch. The Cuda and Challenger ones are different BTW.
Sheldon

shawge

Mine is for a Challenger.  Fit front to back is great. Spots for passenger side and rear mirror line up. After pressing the headliner against the roof, the driver side is off by 1/2". The raised pad is not lining up.

What are folks seeing for the distance between the outside holes of the rear mirror to the lower hole of the sun visor? I've got 18" for both sides.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

shawge

After a few grind/install/check iterations it now fits and pops into place. I'll need to repair the driver side visor hole on the board as it did not line up with the mounting location on the car. Going to delete the belt holders as I now have 3 point belts.

Thanks for the pictures.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: As I recall when I installed mine the shoulder belt attaching bolts went under the fibreglass and held it up 2/3 back. My visor holes and mirror holes all lined up nicely on mine. I'm not near the car now, sorry I can't be more of a help. It sounds like you have it figured out. Not the easiest to work with, not much room in there trying to hold it up above your head and shine a light up as well. I seem to remember running straps over the roof and under the headliner to hold it up, then I ran in the shoulder bolts to hold the back up.
Sheldon

shawge

:banana: it fits.

Now to repair and fit the overhead console. Anyone ever customize one?
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Mickm

That looks pretty cool!
My headliner is new but if I ever change it I will go with this method as I think I would like a console.

Cheers!
Mickm

gumby

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 02, 2017, 05:35:41 PM
Hmm: I put a repro glass one in my SE and it sort of jumped into place. I can't remember how close it was, probably within half an inch. The Cuda and Challenger ones are different BTW.

Where did you source the repro one at? SERIOUSLY want one? Thanks...

shawge

I got mine from Dayclona on Moparts. Cost $200 (in 2016), shipping can be $$$ if you are far from MA.

Edit: updated cost.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

erik70rt

Quote from: shawge on March 06, 2018, 11:57:36 AM
I got mine from Dayclona on Moparts. Cost $250, shipping can be $$$ if you are far from MA.

Thanks!

I may need one of those, too!
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon