Main Menu

Tuff wheel horn mechanism

Started by Burdar, July 07, 2017, 07:27:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I'm probably going to go with the 15" Grant tuff wheel. The cheapest I've seen is $115 from Summit. It's not the leather version but it comes with a horn button. I don't think it comes with the horn mechanism that the button attaches to. My question is this...

I've got a spare 72-74 E-body two spoke wheel that has the horn mechanism on it. Is that mechanism the same...will it fit the tuff wheel? The supplied horn button is the same as the stock 72-74 piece.

A few places sell the mechanism with the wheel but they are more money. If I've already got the correct part, I don't need to buy another one.

RUNCHARGER

I did a couple of those. I used the stock horn switch.
Sheldon

Burdar

Great thanks. Now I need to find a reasonably priced tuff wheel adapter.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on July 07, 2017, 07:47:03 PM

Those are getting stupid money nowadays :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Yah, I know. They have reproductions but they are $150.

There is no good way to put a tuff wheel on a 67-69 column. The adapter is larger then the column. The columns got larger in 70 when the ignition switch moved off of the dash. The adapter looks a little goofy on the earlier columns. The only other option is a Grant adapter AND a separate spacer/extension.

I wonder if I can use the factory horn switch with the Grant adapter? Don't see why not. The Grant horn parts are pretty cheap looking. My main concern is getting the turn signals to cancel with the aftermarket parts.

1 Wild R/T

Might be time to do a little fabricating.....

RUNCHARGER

70 and up A-body column maybe? Blank out the old key placement.
Sheldon

Brads70

If I find one at Carlisle should I get it for you? If so, What's a good price? :dunno:
Message me your phone number (if you want) and I can text or call you from the show if I find one?
I'd highly suggest getting the leather wrapped one from PG classics. I had the grant one and sold it after I got the PG one.

Burdar

Let me think about it Brad.  I might take you up on that.  Thanks

61K T/A

Quote from: Brads70 on July 08, 2017, 07:18:42 PM

If I find one at Carlisle should I get it for you? If so, What's a good price? :dunno:
Message me your phone number (if you want) and I can text or call you from the show if I find one?
I'd highly suggest getting the leather wrapped one from PG classics. I had the grant one and sold it after I got the PG one.

I bought the leather wheel from PG Cassics. Did you have a problem with the screw holes being too small and the spokes being some what scratched?

Brads70

Quote from: 61K T/A on July 09, 2017, 04:01:25 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on July 08, 2017, 07:18:42 PM

Yes I had to tap a few holes and polished the stainless spokes some more to my liking.

I bought the leather wheel from PG Cassics. Did you have a problem with the screw holes being too small and the spokes being some what scratched?

Burdar

This doesn't have to do with E-bodies but since I started this post, I'll put these pictures in here.  Maybe someone else will be working on a 67-69 A-body at some point in the future.  These pictures show the difference in diameter from 69 to 70 in the steering columns and what's needed to install a tuff wheel adapter on an earlier column.  I got these pictures from a member of a different forum.

There is an extra piece of metal on the bottom of the adapter that rubs on the 67-69 upper column.  If you want to retain this extra piece, you need to grind/machine the inside of that section to clear the upper column section.  You can also remove it completely but then you end up with a gap between the column and the adapter.  It's probably not very noticeable once installed in the car but I think the extra piece on the bottom helps the transition from wide adapter to thin column.