Main Menu

Vintage Air Question

Started by gzig5, May 15, 2018, 12:11:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 16, 2018, 11:08:44 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 16, 2018, 09:56:43 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 16, 2018, 09:46:36 AM
A/C cars don't have a drivers side fresh air vent...

Well that sucks. I assume there are no provisions in the cowl to retrofit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope... One of many reason why I recommend if you have an A/C car you keep the stock stuff under the dash & just replace the compressor with a Sanden & add a relay or two to the blower so it actually gets enough amperage to move some air...

That being said, I'm not sure how much modifying it would take, but there's a bit of room for a vent on the passenger side with my installation. Seems feasible, but may need some creativity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Mickm

My '72 was not an air car originally and I installed Vintage air as soon as I got the car. You reaaally need it in Louisiana!
In my initial install I used the underdash vent. It looked good and worked great but I personally like the vents in the dash.

So, when I laying out the rebuild and was going considering what to do with the dash pad, I decided to have Just Dashes redo my dash pad incorporating the original vents and hook up the Vintage Air to them.

This introduced the fact the in-dash vents are not reproduced, so I found a set and rebuilt them.

Until I read this topic, I was not aware that Air cars did not have fresh air boxes. I rebuilt mine so I have fresh air on the drivers side, which is a very cool thing to have on a day when it's not hot enough for ac but you need some air coming in the cabin.

If I were you and could add the drivers side air box, I would. Others here can tell you what it would take to do this more than me.

The only problem I have with my Vintage Air is the wife complains that it gets too cold when we driving. She refers to it as the "Slurpy Machine"! lol

Cheers!
Mickm

1 Wild R/T

When initially looking at adding a L vent it would seem like an easy project, the problem is there needs to be a water damn up in the cowl box or else when you get caught in a rain event or wash the car water will pour in through the vent... You could probably fabricate something that could be inserted from below with caulking or maybe the better call would be panel bonding adhesive....