Main Menu

Voltage gauge for Cuda rallye dash

Started by Cudalbs, February 11, 2017, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudalbs

I was wondering what you guys are using and where you are mounting a voltage gauge after you have deleted your ammeter. Does anybody make one that would just replace the ammeter in a rallye dash?  That's probably asking a little to much. Advice and pics would be great :)
Thanks, Mike
"Love those round taillight cars"

Cuda Cody

Sorry, I'm very little help outside the stock game.  Hopefully someone will be able to help you.   :fingerscrossed:

screamindriver

Years ago the gauge to use was the sunpro CP 7985...https://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7985-CustomLine-Electrical-Voltmeter/dp/B00029JZXM    You can take this gauge apart and install the rallye ammeter's faceplate and needle on the voltmeter then install it in your rallye dash ....I'm not sure if there's a newer gauge out there now but as you see it's still available....

cataclysm80

Wow, that's neat.
I'm probably going to be doing something like this with my Challenger soon.

I hear that Redline Gauges does a conversion, maybe it's just the same as described above.

I've been using AutoInstruments.com for my gauges.
I wonder if they or other companies also offer conversions.

screamindriver

I thought the conversion was interesting and thoughtful...Keep in mind you WILL be destroying the factory ammeter to do the conversion...IIRC you simply cut the needle off the ammeter and glue it over the thin needle of the sunpro gauge...And deal with the faceplate as to your abilities...

Cudalbs

That is awesome......I just ordered one and this is a perfect time for me to do this because my dash is all apart right now. I am finally getting around to putting in a sound system and I sent my speedo and clock away to be repaired so when I get all this stuff back my dash will finally be fully functional.   :takemymoney:
Thanks for the great info screamin, I really appreciate it.  :drinkingbud:

Cudakiller70

If you can please post pics :takepicture: and details as reasonably possible. This is something I and I'm sure others want to do, but scared too.... Good luck :drinkingbud:

Cudalbs

I'll have the gauge next week and I'll post swap out.   :cheers:

chal340

I made this conversion 3 years ago. I had one more anmeter. :)

I bought this sunpro gauge CP7985.

I dismantled the sunpro, they have a similar size.

I removed the face of the sunpro.

I cut the needle of the anmeter removed the anmeter face, modified it a little, and fixed them on the Sunpro. The anmeter face is screwed on the sunpro voltmeter.
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

303 Mopar

Redline makes one for a standard dash that I installed on my Challenger, you may want to see if they have one for a rallye dash.

Cudalbs

Chal340 thanks for the info and the great pics. That will make it a little less scary. The one ? I have is do you remember what you used to fasten the old needle to the new gauge??
Thanks again, Mike

Cuda Cody

Nicely done!!!!   :bravo:

Quote from: chal340 on February 12, 2017, 02:05:42 AM
I made this conversion 3 years ago. I had one more anmeter. :)

I bought this sunpro gauge CP7985.

I dismantled the sunpro, they have a similar size.

I removed the face of the sunpro.

I cut the needle of the anmeter removed the anmeter face, modified it a little, and fixed them on the Sunpro. The anmeter face is screwed on the sunpro voltmeter.

chal340

If I remember, I used a glue like SuperGlue to fasten this needle on the anmeter needle.

Quote from: Cudalbs on February 12, 2017, 08:04:19 AM
Chal340 thanks for the info and the great pics. That will make it a little less scary. The one ? I have is do you remember what you used to fasten the old needle to the new gauge??
Thanks again, Mike
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

mjb765

I know instrument specialties does a ammeter to voltmeter conversion that looks stock. Don't have pricing though.

Cudalbs

Quote from: Cudalbs on February 11, 2017, 09:53:53 PM
I'll have the gauge next week and I'll post swap out.   :cheers:

Well I said I would post my journey through this little project, so here we go....
I started with a stock rallye cluster and sunpro voltmeter CP7985.
I disassembled the dash and removed the ammeter making sure you check where all of the isolators because the isolaters keep the gauge from grounding out and causing trouble. Next I had to cut open the voltmeter and remove the gauge itself. I cut the back off wit a dremel,  others have said they cracked it open at a seam but I could not find a seam to crack. If you do use the dremel make sure to get all the shavings out of the gauge.
The next part you have to decide if you are using the old ammeter face or the sun pro face. I used the sunpro and you definitely need to do some modifying on either one. You can look at the pics to see what I had to do to the sunpro. If you use the ammeter you'll have figure out where to drill the holes to mount the face to the gauge.
The two studs on the back of the voltmeter are a little closer together than those on the ammeter so I had to file the holes in the dash casing a little bit so the gauge would fit correctly. That was pretty much it and it was a fun little project.