Main Menu

Wanted Pics of your front door speaker installs - Challenger

Started by greentween, June 26, 2020, 11:11:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

greentween

I'm sure topic has been covered before but I couldn't find anything. I wanted to add speakers to the front and don't mind modding the door panel. What concern's me is the shape of the plastic panel and adding a speaker grill to it.  Plus the window crank may interfere with it. I wonder if you can even add a grill? Maybe just drill out the panel with a pattern of small holes and mount the speaker under the panel?

If kick panel is only way to get a decent speaker, pics of that would be appreciated too.
Thanks

73chalngr

I wanted a better sound up front to but I did not want to cut holes in anything like that so I purchased a retro sound dual tweeter dual voice coil center speaker . Had to modify the dash frame for speaker to fit properly. I had the windshield out at the time witch I believe gave me the access to do it . I believe would be difficult with it in place .   If it is too loud you are too old !!!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

PLUM72

I put one of these double speakers in the center dash opening.  Its from Turnswitch.com.  It helps but needs more.  The kickpanels would be the next place I'd go.  The problem here is you'll need to get creative.  You can't really fit a big driver in the space here and just put a grill on it.  You need to fab something to surface mount a 6-inch round driver on the kickpanel and then cover it with a black vinyl.  I wouldn't cut the door panels unless they were really ratty.

This is the point where I'm at.  A 4-inch will fit in the kick panel but not a 6-inch.  I haven't had the creativity yet to come up with something.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

PLUM72

While these are not my cars, one is the Foose TerraCuda.  It shows a bit of what can be done with the kickpanel.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

CudaMoparRay

In my '71 Barracuda I drilled the kick panels myself with a hole saw. Easy and saved lots of money.
Didn't care about the kick panels but did not want to ruin the door panels.
In my '72 'Cuda I simply installed the speakers under the dash facing down. There is plenty of space and framing to attach them to there. No hole drilling, out of sight and can not be kicked.
Wanted to spare the kick panels and doors.

greentween