Main Menu

Bench seats and floor shifers

Started by CudaMoparRay, October 11, 2017, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

Did all bench seat Plymouth Barracudas come with column shifter only with no optional floor shifter?
Automatic or manual would that have mattered?

CudaMoparRay

Found the answer is yes, but I'm going with a Hurst floor shifter anyway, because I like the way it looks better.

RUNCHARGER

The right way to do it would be to use the shifter setup from a 71 B-body with bench seat. They moved the shifter forward in the car and used a longer lever. The 71 B-body with buckets used the same shifter as an E-body.
Sheldon

anlauto

Yea I agree with Sheldon 1971 B Body bench seat shifter
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

A few years back, probably 8-10 years) I had a chance to by a '71 Barracuda, SL6, faded burgundy in color with a bench seat, auto on the column, beautiful grill. For $2,500. it would actually start and run if you started it from under the dash (sort of hot wire style), no key. No, it was legit at a small used car lot, told the guy there, Ok! I was interested, I had to run to bank for funds, guy says "I'll hold it for you" yeah! Right!! Got back with funds in 20 mins. He sold it out from under me. What a jerk!
     Thanks,   Al

CudaMoparRay

Believe me, I gave it much thought and did seriously consider the B-body stick shift in that it did look more appropriate for bench seats, radical and cool also.
I decided, however, on the shifter found on the E-bodies in order to keep it looking 'Cuda Iconic and not Roadrunner in my mind.
The other reason is that my A518 has a steel brace more up front and I have to bring the stick back a little.
Plus I felt that if ever someone had to be in the middle the B stick would be too far up their crotch lol and people can't slide across without having to bump into it.
Anyway, that was my logic.

CudaMoparRay

I put it in as a mock-up for the moment and think it looks good.
If you look closely you'll see the white zip ties holding it in place.

CudaMoparRay

I took ideas from these pictures. I know most are of bucket seat arrangements but the last one is what struck me as best.
I'll be buying the Hurst boot and 4 screw plate to match the originals even if a little of the ring plate goes under the seat a bit.
Thank you guys for the help and advise.