Main Menu

Which woodgrain for console?

Started by MatchlessIndian, November 16, 2021, 06:28:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MatchlessIndian

Hey guys, which year woodgrain is this? When I look at the replacement vinyl pics for a 71 (which is what this is in) it looks to me to be lighter than what is offered but I'm not sure if it matches the 70 either. The car is a R/T with the woodgrain around the gauges which is in perfect shape (unfortunately I don't have a pic of that on my phone) so I'm trying to make it match. Which do you guys think?

Floyd

I have an early build 71 (Sep 70) that had the lighter Kashmir/Teak overlay on a 70-style console (no ashtray).  It's conceivable that left over top plates were used into 1971 regardless of console type (ashtray/no ashtray). 

MatchlessIndian

Thanks! I figured that is probably what it is but I only have one available to me--- wife's car doesn't have the console.

Here is a pic of the gauge area.

MoparLeo

You will never get a perfect match. It isn't real wood. On the console plate and door panel inserts it is 3M vinyl. The gauge cluster is a photo transfer. Real wood doesn't match anyway.
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/woodgrain-carbon-fiber-overlays/
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

MKA

Your plate is only 4 screws, I think that's a 70 version unless a screw hole is hiding under the sticker

I just replaced the vinyl sticker Kashmir on my 70Rt from Detroit muscle technologies.   Here's a couple pics. 

Hardest part by far was removing the old sticker and it's not that hard just a lot of elbow grease to get all the glue off    New one going on was much easier than I expected.   Just follow their simple directions.

Question, your top plate is the first one I have seen that fits perfect flush around the shifter chrome bezel.  Mine, like many I have seen rides the shifter knob side of the bezel causing a slight mis alignment on the drivers side ( it sticks up slightly with a gap to the console.      I can't see how there is play to adjust either the console or the shifter to adjust.   Is there a trick to a proper flush fit? 

Floyd

I recently used a DMT overlay and might as well share my technique for removing the old woodgrain. 
I found that the aerosol paint remover "Aircraft" Paint Remover did a pretty nice job of breaking down the vinyl.  It took two applications.  The first one lifted the woodgrain layer and the second one took the rest.  I was able to scrape away the second part with a small plastic bondo squeegee.  Everything left after that came off with some elbow grease and Goo Gone.