Main Menu

Windlace

Started by Rdchallenger, October 20, 2024, 07:52:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Stupid question, was windlace ever used on our E bodies? I don't think I've ever seen a subject about it on the site even though I see that it's for sale for our cars on parts sites like Partsmix and others. But I don't think I've ever seen it installed and don't recall seeing it in any service manual.  :notsure:

JH27N0B

I have heard the term windlace before but wasn't sure what it is. Looking online, it looks like it's the seal between the door and the door jamb.  If that's correct, sure, E bodies have them.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: JH27N0B on October 20, 2024, 07:27:49 PMI have heard the term windlace before but wasn't sure what it is. Looking online, it looks like it's the seal between the door and the door jamb.  If that's correct, sure, E bodies have them.

Correct, I would just consider that the seal.
Windlace is something like a cloth material.

Ironically, they are only listed for A and B bodies on Dante's

71vert340

I can show you what is considered the windlace on a 1971-74 B-body. It is the u-channel piece that covers up the metal edge where the door jam panel meets the inside rear quarter panel. The inside rear panels do not wrap around the edge of this metal joint like the rear panels do on an E-body. It extends from the top of the panel down under the door sill plate. Here's a few photos of the piece and how it covers that edge.
Terry W.

b5cuda

Similar with a-bodies, the windlace is a piece of trim to cover the seam. E-bodies have that molded into the rear quarter interior panel. 

Rdchallenger

Quote from: b5cuda on Today at 05:25:03 AMSimilar with a-bodies, the windlace is a piece of trim to cover the seam. E-bodies have that molded into the rear quarter interior panel. 

Well that would explain why my rear quarter interior panel didn't fit right and required some shaving during my resto. It's bugged me now for two years thinking it was something structural that I messed up or this "windlace situation". Guess I'll be ordering some new ones in the spring, at least I know they'll fit right though.

Thanks for the help and clarifying everyone!