Main Menu

Window Cranks

Started by Burdar, July 16, 2020, 06:28:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Has anyone installed aftermarket window cranks on their cars?  What did you use?  The stock cranks(and the Dorman/Help replacements) are kind of cheap looking and boring.  I see a lot of universal cranks online that look decent but I don't think they will fit our Mopars.  The universal ones come with different adapters to fit multiple vehicles.  One of the adapters listed is a 7/16" round with 16 splines.  I just counted my door mechanisms and they have 13 splines.

70/6chall

Burdar........ are you asking about the window crank handles themselves? If so I have seen the Dorman handles in the self help section at Pep Boys. I have some OE handles available if your interested. Please check out pic see if this is what your asking for. Thanks,   Al

anlauto

I put new window cranks on all the cars I restore....just get the ones readily available from pretty much any vendor  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69BFan

In regards to the reproduction window crank handles, there is two distinct levels of quality available.  The cheaper style will be a bit wider at what I call the "beam area" and the knob will be looser to the handle itself.  The better quality handles are a more correct profile and the knobs are tighter to the handle and seem to stay that way much longer.  I have seen the cheaper ones in the bag with the knob already falling off of the handle.  Expect to pay close to double for the better quality pieces.  Also be aware that many of the Dorman style handles that you find are the 72 to 93 Dodge truck style.  They feature a larger handle and knob, but feature very similar styling.  I have never had an issue the spline count for either styles.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

70/6chall

I have had these window crank handles in my possession for years in a box. Prior to me coming upon them I understood they had never been installed in a car. Look closely at the handles they are really nice with all the pertinent assessories. If anyone can identify them to be OE let me know, please.If there is a mark or P/N to identify I will look closer at them. I am selling them help me out if you can, I also understand they are the same for A body and B body through several years application.
Thanks,   Al

Burdar

QuoteThe stock cranks(and the Dorman/Help replacements) are kind of cheap looking and boring.

I don't want stock cranks.  I don't like the look of them on a custom build.  The main body looks fine, it's the round rubber end that looks cheap to me.
The universal aftermarket billet aluminum cranks I've seen come with adapters to fit a wide variety of cars.  It doesn't look like the adapters will fit a Mopar with 13 splines.