Main Menu

Window Felts

Started by Tantster, December 12, 2017, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Tantster

Is this a correct window felt for a 70 Challenger? Hardtop. Previous owner had new set that he gave me but they have rivets to attach them to the door panel and these pulled off. Car had bunch of different parts including dash from 72 Cuda according to the vin plate that was still attached. Any help appreciated as I now need to order the correct ones.  :help:

anlauto

Those ones go on the interior panels. No screws or pop rivets should be needed :alan2cents: If you want to replace those with the correct reproductions, you need to call David at Roseville and get a set of TopCat window felts (8pc Kit)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

edison1970

I have a set of those also.  They were an older set I got with my car also.  I think they were from Year One. 

Tantster

Thanks gents. Door panels have been cleaned and painted, now I need the to get the felts.

Tantster

Is there a difference in 1970 to other years?

anlauto

On the door panel...NO....on the car YES.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

69BFan

Verify the year model of the doors that are on your car.  For the 1970 model year, the felts attached with clips to the door.  In 1971 to 1974, they were attached with screws.  You would be amazed at how many people and vendors contact us with a mismatched set of doors.  The outer quarters are all the same, so just need to pay attention to the door outers.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

anlauto

Quote from: 69BFan on December 24, 2017, 04:57:38 PM
Verify the year model of the doors that are on your car.  For the 1970 model year, the felts attached with clips to the door.  In 1971 to 1974, they were attached with screws.  You would be amazed at how many people and vendors contact us with a mismatched set of doors.  The outer quarters are all the same, so just need to pay attention to the door outers.

I've done a couple of cars that were like that...

71vert340

There are a few exceptions. My 71 vert ( late Nov 1970) has the clip on type outer felts.
Terry

69BFan

On the convertible quarter outer felts, there have been two different lengths discovered as well.  The clip placement is the same, but the overall length differs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Tantster

Ok, so I'm at an impasse with the damn door panels. Ordered 1970 style and they are not the same as the ones I took off. Pulled number off of inner door panel and if I understand it correctly they are from 1972. Can anyone confirm?  Original interior color was Burnt Orange and at some point interior was replaced with black. Should of raised a flag but assumed but I overlooked it. Do I return and order for 72?

anlauto

With the two samples you're holding in your hand, can I assume one is an original piece and one is your new reproduction ?

Because what I see is the garbage reproduction put out by PUI and other companies and need to be drilled and pop riveted to the interior panel.

The only quality reproductions that clip on to the panel like originals are made by TopCat :alan2cents:

69BFan

Inner window felts were all the same for the four year production run.  It is a "U" shaped channel that slides up onto the inner door panel.  This is the style that both the Top Cat brand and FPAP uses.  When we first started to produce the Top Cat E-Body felts, we were bonding a rubber strip onto the felt material creating a recessed area that would slide onto the lip of the panel to attache the felt too.  Over time, we were able to find a source that would manufacture the correct inner felt material for us.  Likewise, the FPAP felts are now using a similar material.
It is hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears that what you have is a generic style of belt line weatherstripping that is meant to be either glued, stapled or screwed onto the door panel.   I would check back with your vendor as the new reproductions should be pretty much identical to the originals that you removed from the car, given that they are originals.

anlauto

Not saying this is the case with Tanster, but a lot of people get sucked in to buying these older crappy restoration parts because they're cheaper or being pushed by non-Mopar parts suppliers or some company that got stuck with this inferior product....I'm surprised it still sells...

Just to confirm....the interior plastic door panel, in this respect, did NOT change from 1970-1974.

69BFan

We see it everyday.  We even have people and vendors send us back felts that we did not even manufacture.  People naturally think that they got the Top Cat felts that we manufacture only to have gotten a generic weatherstripping piece.  That is why I am such an advocate of educating people on what they are buying.  Also the reason that I stress that buyers need to attend shows and support the manufactures that attend the shows so that you know what your are purchasing.