Main Menu

Wood Grain Alternative

Started by rebelyell, September 06, 2017, 12:05:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rebelyell

Does anyone make an alternative to the woodgrain fasica for the rallye dash? Something that's not woodgrain? Google isn't coming up with anything.

Burdar

DMT(Detroit Muscle Technologies) sells a carbon fiber decal.  They might have other finishes as well.

Burdar

Shane Kelley

Katfish

I have the DMT carbon fiber overlays on the gauges, console and door inserts, makes a world of difference. 

I'd post pics but Photobucket pulled that plug.....

rebelyell

I'd love to see some pictures with the carbon installed. Is it just a sticker? Is that how the original woodgrain was? I have no idea how that part works. Would I still need the woodgrain piece and apply the DMT over it?

It's going in a 71 Challenger with dakota digital gauge rallye conversion.

Burdar

The DMT overlay is just a piece of high quality vinyl. It's probably 3M Dinoc or Scotchprint material. You'll have to apply it over the existing wood grain panels. The existing pieces are just aluminum with painted on wood grain.

rebelyell

Oh. Well screw that then. I'll buy my own vinyl wrap in whatever pattern I want.

Thanks!

Burdar

Actually the DMT overlay is pretty inexpensive and it comes all pre cut. It looks like it's trimmed so that there is an aluminum ring showing around the openings. All DMT made products are very high quality.

dave73

For the door overlays, do you have to remove the panel and pull off the chrysler emblem from the back side?

Brads70

@Cudajason   Maybe Jason could post what he did. One of my favorite non stock ralley gauge bezel treatments!  :bravo: :bradsthumb:

Burdar

QuoteFor the door overlays, do you have to remove the panel and pull off the chrysler emblem from the back side?

To replace the woodgrain on the door panel inserts(or to change to another style vinyl) you'll need to remove the "Fratzog" emblems.  The emblems have three pins that stick through the back side of the insert.  The factory mashed the pins so they mushroomed out on the back.  You'll need to grind off the mushroomed part of the pins.  Once that material is removed, the Fratzog emblems will pop right off.

To reattach, I used a very small amount of clear silicone...let it dry completely, then trim any access that squirted out with a razor blade. Others have used different methods with success.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Burdar on September 25, 2017, 01:35:04 PM
QuoteFor the door overlays, do you have to remove the panel and pull off the chrysler emblem from the back side?

To replace the woodgrain on the door panel inserts(or to change to another style vinyl) you'll need to remove the "Fratzog" emblems.  The emblems have three pins that stick through the back side of the insert.  The factory mashed the pins so they mushroomed out on the back.  You'll need to grind off the mushroomed part of the pins.  Once that material is removed, the Fratzog emblems will pop right off.

To reattach, I used a very small amount of clear silicone...let it dry completely, then trim any access that squirted out with a razor blade. Others have used different methods with success.
:iagree:  This is a set I did. I used emblem adhesive. But silicone will work just fine also for holding the emblem on.

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on September 25, 2017, 12:14:43 PM
@Cudajason   Maybe Jason could post what he did. One of my favorite non stock ralley gauge bezel treatments!  :bravo: :bradsthumb:

Thanks @Brads70 .

here are a few pics.  I can post a little more detail later tonight.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Katfish