Main Menu

Woodgrain wheel refinishing tips

Started by njsteve, November 25, 2020, 10:10:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

njsteve

I posted this in my restoration thread but it might help some guys over here to find it in the future:  https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/shes-finally-purple-again-fc7-70-shaker-cuda340/17307/

I've spent the last couple days experimenting down in the la-bora-tory, Frankenstein-style. Working on refinishing the steering wheel. The original woodgrain wheel was in great condition with no cracks or splits whatsoever, but since it was a manual steering car, there really was no grain or painted finish left on the upper surfaces of the wheel. It was pretty much tan plastic from the front view.

So after reading various blogs, the most useful of which were from stage and movie set designers who made wooden-appearing prop weapons out of PVC pipe, etc, I came to the process I used.

First, I got an old mitre saw blade and used it to randomly scrape across the entire circumference of the wheel to try to duplicate some major grain structure. I then used a piece of 60 grit sandpaper glued to a paint stirrer stick and dragged that across the surfaces as well.

This is probably the one restoration process where the sloppier and more haphazard way you do something, they better it turns out.

Then I wiped the rim down with plastic cleaner - the same stuff you use to get plastic interior panels ready for dyeing.

Then came the Minwax Dark Walnut stain. It is made for wood, not plastic so it takes a bit longer to do anything. I slathered on a layer with a sponge brush. I waited half an hour and wiped it off with a clean T-shirt scrap. It looked good and stayed in the scratches I made with the sawblade and sandpaper. So I did another coat... and another. Probably four all together and let the last one stay on overnight. The stuff gets tacky after a while so you really have to rub hard with the cloth to get the excess off the surface. It serves more as a burnishing than a removing of the material. It looked pretty nice this morning but needed something more.

So I went to the Home Depot and picked up a pack of the Varathane wood repair markers. These are alcohol-based paint markers that come in various wood shades. They worked great. I used the Walnut, Ebony, and Maple markers. All you do is randonly drag the tip across a couple inches of the wheel surface and then immediately wipe it with the rag. This stuff dries very quickly. If you dont wipe fast enough it leaves a heavy mark. But if you just reapply in the same place, it reactivates the paint and you get a second chance to wipe it off. I started with the Walnut, then did the darker Ebony, and finally the Maple. Just making random scraggly marks around the entire front back and sides. Then wiped it all down with some heavy pressure which polished it up nicely.

After all that, I sprayed it with several coats of satin clear Rustoleum.

And here's the results:

Before and after:

70/6chall

Or you could contact Doug Lepak the steering wheel guy, and see what charges for his services. Maybe he can give you some advice on this subject. He seems to be a pretty good guy easy to talk to. Just a thought.   Thanks,   Al

njsteve

I enjoy doing things myself and saving hundreds of dollars in the process. Other than the worn off finish, it was a perfect wheel. I checked around and most refinishers want several hundred bucks to do what I just did. Not to mention sending off my original wheel for who knows how long.

My wife does a lot of woodworking projects as a hobby and is the harshest judge I know. She was amazed at how realistic it came out. If I can make her actually compliment something I did, THAT is the ultimate test!

I installed it today. I am more than happy with the results.

Before and after:

Fern

Looks great and I agree there's a great satisfaction in doing it yourself.

71cuda#match

Thanks for your post!  I will try myself.  What paint did you use for the 3 center spokes.  Mine looked a little like gun metal grey metallic.  What did you use?

njsteve

Mine just had some minor surface rust so I soaked it in Evaporust and it came out fine. No painting at all.

floorit426

I enjoy doing things myself and saving hundreds of dollars in the process. Other than the worn off finish, it was a perfect wheel. I checked around and most refinishers want several hundred bucks to do what I just did. Not to mention sending off my original wheel for who knows how long.

[/quote]
:iagree:
Driving the cars is fun, but, in my opinion, the enjoyment of ownership is also doing everything possible, yourself. That is the true satifaction and pride of ownership. I may give this a go. I, too have a pretty cherry wheel, worn smooth from being a manual steering car.