Main Menu

**318 OVERHEATING ISSUES**

Started by temsinc, July 19, 2019, 05:07:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Yes: It should spin easily by hand when cold. IMO a 160 t-stat doesn't cool any better than a 180 or 195, it does open sooner but it won't fix a clogged or inadequate cooling system and the end result will still be overheating. A stock shroud and fan will move the most air and will be the most effective.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

the clutch should be loose cold so there is no drag But it should be tight when hot , if it is not tight then the clutch is not working properly .
DO you have a spring inside the lower hose , it can collapse with suction although that is usually a problem at speed not at idle
Right now I am not too far away in Calgary

temsinc

UPDATE: I decided to see if my 22" shroud fit my OEM radiator since I had it out of the car...of course it fit like a glove  :tired:...naturally I yanked the aluminum rad out and slammed in the OEM. Long and short of it is, the car is running around 179-182F with ambient outside temp of 86F. My newly installed electric temp gauge shows 200F  :verymad:.

Is there a preference over mechanical or electric temp gauges?

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in, your feedback was awesome.

P.s. I can hear the fan blades make a slight contact with the shroud at idle. It disappears once I accelerate. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Darcy :canada:

Skid Row

Worn or broken motor mounts will do that.

Shane Kelley

You might try loosening up all the rad bolts a shifting the radiator for a little more clearance. Doesn't sound like you need much. You can try that with the shroud as well.

70 Challenger Lover

So it's running cool at idle now or were those temps at highway speeds?

temsinc

Temps were at idle with an infrared digital temp gun at the top of intake Rt next to temp sensor. The temp gauge drops to around 180ish on Hwy. Maybe I'll swap out the electric temp gauge for a new mechanical  :thinking:. I will try adjusting the shroud and or rad, thank you for the advice.

Darcy

You should aim for the fan to be half in and half out of the shroud for best air movement thru the radiator.

temsinc

10-4...I will measure for the proper spacer tomorrow. I have read on the A Body forum that its advantageous to have the fan approx 1" from the rad...thoughts?

Darcy

Yes, according to this article from Flex -a-lite 1" minimum distance is recommended.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/blog/the-perfect-fan-shroud-position/

Chryco Psycho

I would leave it where it is , the blades are tight to the shroud if it is rubbing it slightly

temsinc

I maximized adjusting both the shroud and radiator to prevent the fan from making contact with the shroud...albeit, there wasn't a lot of wiggle room, it did rectify the problem. As Chryco mentioned, I have left it in place now because there is no way for me to add a spacer because the fan blade would make full contact with upper fan shroud. Car is running nicely at 180-190F on the temp gauge, 180F with infrared digital temp gun. Thank you all for your guidance.

Darcy :canada: 

drew43a

Just wondering if the block is clogged with rust.  my 318 car was overheating and i pulled the block NPT plug out  < not freeze plug.>   at the bottom and it was packed solid with rust. had to use a coat hanger to dig it out. solved my problem.