Main Menu

392 Hemi Swap

Started by 303 Mopar, January 01, 2017, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

#303 Mopar. Did something happen to the pictures in this thread? I see them in your first post, but not in the second post, I see the videos though.

Cuda Cody

Good catch!  It must have happened when we went to a Secure server.  I'll update his links so they work.   :slapme5:

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 05, 2017, 08:01:07 AM
#303 Mopar. Did something happen to the pictures in this thread? I see them in your first post, but not in the second post, I see the videos though.

Cuda Cody

Let me know if you guys see any other dead Gallery links.  It happened when we went to a Secure site.  Here's how to fix the links if anyone wants to fix their own or feel free to ask me and I'll fix them for you.  Showing spaces only so the links don't work and you can see the code:

OLD LINK:
[img ]http:/ /forum.e-bodies.org/gallery/7-040117131053. jpeg[ /img]

NEW LINK (changes show in red text)
[img ]https:/ /forum.e-bodies.org/gallerypics/7-040117131053. jpeg[ /img]

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 05, 2017, 08:01:07 AM

moparcar

What a great write up and how to! Since I'm doing the same and in Colorado also I mayy be asking some questions.

Thanks, Wes

303 Mopar

Quote from: MoparCar on May 10, 2017, 05:23:27 PM
What a great write up and how to! Since I'm doing the same and in Colorado also I mayy be asking some questions.

Thanks, Wes

Feel free to reach out Wes.  I have more pics and info if you need anything.  We can even get together so you can look it over if you want.

mauls

Great write up!  Very detailed and love it.

You should of done a 6.1 and a tremec 6060 swap so I could follow it exactly  :haha:

Anyways I have many headaches in front of me but this thread helps a lot!

rebelyell

Somehow I had no idea you did this swap. Absolutely perfect execution. This is exactly what I'm going to do to mine except with a manual trans. Do you have a link to how you hooked up your gauges and which ones you used? All of the mods and fixes I'm doing are just bandaids until I can save the cash for this swap. There's a place here in GA that sells the motor/trans/gauges/steering column/wiring harness/pedals...a crank-a-pallet kit for just under $9k.

I think I've figured out I'm going away from the torsion bar setup and possibly solid rear axle too. May not be worth the money. I'm planning the power disc brake and power steering conversions now.

303 Mopar

Quote from: rebelyell on August 22, 2017, 06:13:07 AM
Somehow I had no idea you did this swap. Absolutely perfect execution. This is exactly what I'm going to do to mine except with a manual trans. Do you have a link to how you hooked up your gauges and which ones you used? All of the mods and fixes I'm doing are just bandaids until I can save the cash for this swap. There's a place here in GA that sells the motor/trans/gauges/steering column/wiring harness/pedals...a crank-a-pallet kit for just under $9k.

I think I've figured out I'm going away from the torsion bar setup and possibly solid rear axle too. May not be worth the money. I'm planning the power disc brake and power steering conversions now.

Thank you, its not perfect by any means but we did a pretty good job.  I now have a Passon 4 spd OD and it completely changed the car, almost as if the 392 was built to run a manual trans.

I have the stock gauges so everything was straight forward.  If you add a tach, you will need to add a tach adapter and splice into the harness because it does not come with a tach hookup. 

CudaMoparRay

Definitely, gives the technical information needed to undertake this great engine upgrade. Most importantly it also gives the possible pitfalls as well. Thanks

82firebird

Great write up! Do you have an estimate of total parts cost? Thank you for all the pictures and info!

rebelyell

I did notice that you had the factory bulkhead connector basically empty. What happened to all the wires going into the dash? Is that what when in the hole drilled next to it? I'm trying to figure out how you connect the PCM to the dash harness.

303 Mopar

Quote from: rebelyell on September 21, 2017, 11:27:28 AM
I did notice that you had the factory bulkhead connector basically empty. What happened to all the wires going into the dash? Is that what when in the hole drilled next to it? I'm trying to figure out how you connect the PCM to the dash harness.

The engine and body harnesses replace the old engine harness and plugs into the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM).  This includes fan sensors, starter, O2 sensors, all temp sensors, fuel, ignition, etc.  Some guys have mounted the PDC and/or the PDM inside the cabin, but this requires additional larger holes in the firewall.  I only had to drill one 1.75" hole for the "star connector" to plug into the pedal and for easy access to the ODBII plug to allow a computer connection to diagnose codes and tuning.  Things like the headlights and wipers still connect to the factory bulkhead.

Quote from: 82firebird on September 20, 2017, 05:55:50 PM
Great write up! Do you have an estimate of total parts cost? Thank you for all the pictures and info!

Total cost was around $12-13k, including a brand new 392 Hemi.

JpRngr

So, why did you modify the gas pedal? From what I'm finding on mine, I should be able to get full travel with just a spacer. Just curious.

Corey

Chryco Psycho

The supplied pedal had the wrong angle , bolted to the firewall the pedal was dead horizontal so you had to push straight down to operate it , instead of pushing forward

JpRngr

Interesting. The one I got from HotWire with my harness angles fine.