Main Menu

392 Hemi Swap

Started by 303 Mopar, January 01, 2017, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

daryld

That should work if you go manuel and don't use a booster.

There is a company making a package for the 8 speed. Don't remember the name but they were advertising on FB in the Gen 3 Hemi Swap I believe.

I use some black braided rumber 6-AN I bought of ebay.

Topcat

I vote this thread become a sticky.  

The Gen III are going to be the wave in the near future.
Albeit, already.

392 Cuda

@303 Mopar, what are you using for gauges?

I'm looking at the instructions for the harness and don't see anything for our mechanical gauges.

Also, how did you complete the 'pedal learn'?

303 Mopar

Quote from: compugod on November 17, 2018, 01:54:35 PM
@303 Mopar, what are you using for gauges?

I'm looking at the instructions for the harness and don't see anything for our mechanical gauges.

Also, how did you complete the 'pedal learn'?

I'm just using my stock gauges. And we used the Mopar drive by wire pedal grafted to a generic spare pedal from the parts room.

392 Cuda

@303 Mopar, I appreciate the help!

Where did you tap in for water temp and oil pressure? I don't see any analog signals out.

In the instruction manual, they make it sound like you need a dealership to finish the install. Were you able to skip this step?
"Pedal Learn Visit a MOPAR dealer to perform the pedal learn function below:
1. Connect a battery charger to the vehicle.
2. Cycle ignition to RUN.
3. Connect the scan tool (wiTECH 2.0).
4. Enter VIN as "11111111111111111".
5. Select "2015" and "LA" (Challenger) as vehicle from drop down menus.
6. Select "PCM."
7. Select "Misc Functions."
8. Select "Learn ETC."
9. Follow on-screen instructions.
10. Cycle ignition key after the successful routine completion."

303 Mopar

Quote from: compugod on November 18, 2018, 10:15:45 AM
@303 Mopar, I appreciate the help!
Where did you tap in for water temp and oil pressure? I don't see any analog signals out.

In the instruction manual, they make it sound like you need a dealership to finish the install. Were you able to skip this step?

The water temp sensor is installed into the water pump on the front of the engine and connects through the stock fuse block to the stock gauge on the other side. I do not have a oil pressure gauge, but redlinegaugeworks.com sells a stock one that can also connect to the oil pressure sensor.

We did not have to do all those steps for the pedal, it was already programmed to run the engine.  Did you buy the kit or are you piecing parts together?

392 Cuda

@303 Mopar, Did you install your own sensor into the water pump? Which port did you tap into?

I did buy the full kit (crate and harness) and I'm just planning everything out as I wait for RMS suspension, etc. I was able to get the modern pedal from the kit into a decent position with spacers and will build a permanent bracket. The instructions threw just me off with the 'pedal learn' section.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

303 Mopar

Quote from: compugod on November 18, 2018, 02:33:57 PM
@303 Mopar, Did you install your own sensor into the water pump? Which port did you tap into?

I did buy the full kit (crate and harness) and I'm just planning everything out as I wait for RMS suspension, etc. I was able to get the modern pedal from the kit into a decent position with spacers and will build a permanent bracket. The instructions threw just me off with the 'pedal learn' section.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

You did better than us if you got the pedal and base into position. When we tried it was almost horizontal to the floorboard.

The sensor is for the PCM. We tapped the front hole on the water pump and ran the pink wire to the gauge.

392 Cuda

@303 Mopar, I appreciate the pictures! Somehow, I did not even think of using a normal temp sensor on the Gen III motor.

I have the pedal looking/working decent in place, but once I finish the permanent bracket, I'll post measurements for the group.

Which intake did you decide on? It looks like it fits pretty well.

303 Mopar

Quote from: compugod on November 18, 2018, 09:52:39 PM
@303 Mopar, I appreciate the pictures! Somehow, I did not even think of using a normal temp sensor on the Gen III motor.

I have the pedal looking/working decent in place, but once I finish the permanent bracket, I'll post measurements for the group.

Which intake did you decide on? It looks like it fits pretty well.

Thanks. I just have the stock intake, in fact the whole motor is stock from the factory. No mods, yet.....

Chryco Psycho

I did significantly modify the wiring harness on 303s Cuda , the was a lot of unnessisary wires & going to the wrong places too !!
He was freaking out wondering who could possibly fix it if it didn't work when I was done but it worked perfectly
the Water temp sender was matched the factory gauge so it was the obvious choice .

392 Cuda

@303 Mopar, one last question before I attempt the RMS/Wilwood/392 install this weekend... Did you find a preferred front lifting location documented anywhere? All the aluminum is making me nervous.

303 Mopar

Quote from: compugod on December 06, 2018, 06:59:21 AM
@303 Mopar, one last question before I attempt the RMS/Wilwood/392 install this weekend... Did you find a preferred front lifting location documented anywhere? All the aluminum is making me nervous.

We used a header bolt hole for the front and a bellhousing hole for the rear.

392 Cuda

@303 Mopar, I appreciate all the advice through this thread!

I meant to share this much earlier, but here's a video my buddy posted of us installing the 392 in my 74 Barracuda back in December (and some issues with his lift at the end).

Don't mind my buddy's mask... He didn't want his face on YouTube.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 392 Cuda on June 28, 2019, 05:37:32 PM
@303 Mopar, I appreciate all the advice through this thread!

I meant to share this much earlier, but here's a video my buddy posted of us installing the 392 in my 74 Barracuda back in December (and some issues with his lift at the end).

Don't mind my buddy's mask... He didn't want his face on YouTube.

Great video!  Such an exciting time dropping a car on the new Gen III.  I love using your feet, BFH, anything it takes to get the beast in there!