Main Menu

392 Hemi with A833?

Started by mopar1, June 14, 2019, 07:13:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar1

Hello everyone.  I recently registered on this forum, and was a member of cuda-challenger.com several years ago.  Anyway, I've been considering doing a 392 Hemi swap to my 'Cuda.  My car currently has a 340 with a 4 speed and I would rather not cut the floor pans up if at all possible. Has anyone here put an A833 behind a 392?  I've seen flywheels listed for 5.7 and 6.1 hemis, but didn't know if they would work for a 392.  I've also read that the input shaft of the A833 must be shortened, but i've seen different numbers ranging from 1/2" to an inch.  I assume this changes depending on what bellhousing is used?  Since my car currently has a 340, I have a small block bellhousing already so this should be a direct bolt up to the 392 block, correct?  I assume I would have to convert to a hydraulic clutch since the Z-bar arrangement will not work with the Gen III Hemi.  I think if I rebuild my 4 speed with the overdrive kit that Passon offers, I can keep my 4.10 Dana 60 in the car and not worry about changing the gear and reap the benefits that a 5 or 6 speed would offer without having the extra 2 gears. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/a-833-the-ultimate-mopar-4-speed-fix-get-overdrive-and-strength/
1972 Duster- /6 auto
1974 Cuda- 340, 4 speed, 4.10 Dana 60
1969 D300- 318, 4 speed 4.88 Dana 70
1969 Super Bee- 383 4 speed 3.23 8 3/4

Chryco Psycho

I would absolutely do this , the small block bellhousing you have will bolt up , the input shaft is due to a different pilot brg in the rear of the crank ,  you should be able to use the mechanical linkage for the clutch if you wanted as the trans & belhousing sit in the same place , the clutch could possibly cause interferance But I prefer the hyd type  .
The Passon 833 OD gear set is a great piece also .
We converted @303 Mopar  cuda 3 years back  :bigthumb:

303 Mopar

Quote from: mopar1 on June 14, 2019, 07:13:12 AM
Anyway, I've been considering doing a 392 Hemi swap to my 'Cuda.  My car currently has a 340 with a 4 speed and I would rather not cut the floor pans up if at all possible. Has anyone here put an A833 behind a 392? 

As @Chryco Psycho mentioned we swapped a 340 for a 392 a couple years ago. At the time, I kept the 727 and installed a manual valve body but now have a Passon 833 OD. The manual really woke up the engine and it is a blast to drive. I have 3.55 gears so once you hit 55+ the 4th gear OD makes highway cruising nice.  Here is my build thread:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/modern-hemi-swaps/26/392-hemi-swap/67/

mopar1

@303 Mopar and @Chryco Psycho, do you guys have any pictures or a part list from your conversion?  Did you retain the mechanical linkage or go with a hydraulic setup? I checked out the build thread but didn't see details on the 4 speed swap.  How do you like the way the 4 speed overdrive is geared?  Is the spacing between the gears pretty even? Is it a big jump from 3rd to 4th?
1972 Duster- /6 auto
1974 Cuda- 340, 4 speed, 4.10 Dana 60
1969 D300- 318, 4 speed 4.88 Dana 70
1969 Super Bee- 383 4 speed 3.23 8 3/4

303 Mopar

Quote from: mopar1 on June 18, 2019, 01:46:47 PM
@303 Mopar and @Chryco Psycho, do you guys have any pictures or a part list from your conversion?  Did you retain the mechanical linkage or go with a hydraulic setup? I checked out the build thread but didn't see details on the 4 speed swap.  How do you like the way the 4 speed overdrive is geared?  Is the spacing between the gears pretty even? Is it a big jump from 3rd to 4th?

Look at the thread - https://forum.e-bodies.org/modern-hemi-swaps/26/392-hemi-swap/67/

It gives a complete parts list and step by step instructions.  I would call @MoparDave to get all the parts needed, including a new engine!

It does not have the hydraulic set up, the spacing between the gears for the Passion 833 OD is close to stock with 2.66:1 first gear,  1.59:1 second, 1:1 third and 0.80:1 OD fourth. 

You can hear some it in this video -

MoparDave

Good plan with the engine and the trans. As mentioned not an issue with the current 4 speed. just need to change the fly wheel and new disc.

as for the other items you would need. We can supply all of that as we stock the 392 crate engine. Wiring kits, Oil Pans, long and shorty TTI headers. Engine mounts, Alternator and PS pump kits, Radiator , O2 Extensions and ect. hit the link below. prices are at retail but members get discounts at Rosevillemoparts. this would give you an idea what you would be needing. Dans Cuda turned out great as you can see. any questions feel free to email me direct at dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product-category/engine-hemi-crate-gen-iii/

Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

GoodysGotaCuda

I can't recommend going to an overdrive transmission enough, it makes a substantial difference in how the car makes it's way down the road and really opens up your range.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs