Main Menu

6.1 in my 70 Challenger convertible..parts list and insight on instalation

Started by pilotusmc, October 07, 2018, 11:08:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

pilotusmc

Project been on hold for several years due to my health.  But Lord willing back on it soon.

Originally bought  two  6.1 hemis out of 2007 cars for total of $1800...Both had overheated and dropped  valve seats into the cylinders, seems to be a common problem with 5.7 and  6.1 engines.   Rebuilt  first engine  Put a set of  pistons out of another 6.1 that a guy was stroking.  $125 for the pistons.... $125 for  rings from Dodge Dealer....$700 for reworking valves and heads.. $50 for new Rod bearings....... Second engine... heads reworked $700... Used pistons from Ebay $150.... Rings from dodge Dealer $125...Rod bearings  $50...Total invested in both engines... $4500...... Sold one of the engines for $4000...my net cost so far  $500

545 RFE  transmission from 2005 Dodge truck with 45000 miles...  $250

2005  Dodge  truck  computer   $50 from u pull it salvage.  Reprogrammed by Modern Muscle Martinsvile VA  $125

Swap  ebody Harness for  Hemi and  545 RFE....Modern Muscle $1000

TTI  motor Mounts Modern Muscle  $250

TTI Headers ceramic coated Modern Muscle $650

Remote Dual oil filter setup..Summit  Racing  $40

AN braided  fuel lines   made myself  cost  $100

Corvette  Return filter with regulator  $79

AN Transmission lines  $80

Lokar dip stick $78

dual cooling fans from 2000 Chrysler Sebring $35
New Air  conditioner compressor autozone

6.4 Hemi P/S pump with res. autozone

New alternator autozone

New Serpentine Belt autozone
Lower Radiator Hose Dodge Durango' Autozone

Upper radiator Hose Dodge Durango  Note used my stock 26 inch 1970 big block radiator Autozone

Rack and Pinion steering  $1200 (couldn't get headers to fit with stock P/S box) Unisteer

Rack and Pinion steering coupler kit Unisteer  $150

Fabricated my own cross member for the 545 RFE.  I will build anybody one just like mine for $150 I will post

Used my stock  26 inch radiator and  a set of  fans from a  Chrysler Sebring.

That is a list of parts.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

pilotusmc

Also had to buy a mylodon oil pan $269...

I used my stock radiator.  Used the  radiator hoses from a  Dodge Duarango Hemi....they fit nicely.   Cooling fans  were from a Labaron or Sebring..don't remember which one.  Got at a u pull it for  about $35..  With the help of homemade brackets fit like a glove.  Used a dual relay system with temp sensing switch. Put the temp sensing unit in the water pump bleeding port.  Had to drill and tap to 1/8 pipe to make it fit. Will post photos.

Had to trim  the stock k Frame as the  Air conditioner hit the frame.  You also have to grind off the back mount of the stock hemi compressor. Will post photos of compressor.   Couldn't get headers  to mount using stock PS box so opted for a unisteer Rack and Pinion setup.  Using their connection kit it worked fine.  I put an aftermarket  GM  Style  tilt column in my car and had do some cut and welding to get it to bolt up to the swivels going to the rack.  Will post photos. 

Oil filter will not fit and hits kframe.  Solved by fabricating a block off plate and remote oil filter kit. I understand that a Durango oil filter mount will also work. I sorta like the  dual set up will post photos.

I also used a gas pedal from a  2005 Ram pickup..it connects right to the Speed and Performance wiring harness.

For the AC opted for trashing the  factory setup in place with a Vintage Auto Air system. Fit great under the dash.  With adapter fittings for the stock Hemi compressor and custom made AC lines>    Condenser was from a  2006 Chrysler 300 Hemi car.  With some work fit like glove ..Will post photos. ...the condenser  has a PS cooler built in and made  AN Lines for this  to Pump and  steering rack. 

Fuel lines were  AN style  to the fuel rails and to a Corvette C-5 return style fuel filter. Mounted it up by the fuel tank.  You can spend $700 for a tank with a fuel pump or do what I did..> I took my stock  tank, a new aftermarket one. I went to a salvage and found another metal tank that had a  fuel pump and sending unit.  What I found was a  2000 Ford Tarus  tank. Cut out the sending unit...cut a  same size hole in the top of my Challenger tank and welded in.  DON"T do this with a used tank unless you plan on going to hospital.. I used a walbo Buick Grand National pump which fit nicely in the tarus sending unit.  I also cut the sump out of the Tarus tank and welded it into the challenger tank .. This will prevent the pump from cavitating when you go around corners.   I left the stock challenger sending unit in the tank to as it comes in from the side and not the top. Just welded up the line holes so only the sending unit portion is being used. Tank looks stock when you look at it installed...Pictures to follow.

Had to have the drive shaft cut because the 545 is a bit longer.  Fabricated my own cross member ..it looks nice. 

Installed the computer above the glove box on the underside of the dash.  Put all the relays for the fuel pump, a/c inside the right kick panel  I belive there were five relays I had to mount.  I also mounted  two more relays for the cooling  fans under the dash on the driver side.

I plan on using a Dakota Digital dash so my speedometer will work.  I have a really nice rebuilt Rallye dash cluster that looks brand new I will be selling if anybody is interested.. 

The shift cable to the transmission I used the 545 RFE cable from a floor shift Durango... I had to weld a couple places and a mounting ball on my stock slap stick shifter ..I works great. 

That is the progress I have made so far...Engine installed..wiring  done...fans radiator installed..ac installed...soon will be ready to fire it up..

This is how it sits right now.  I have been very sick for a long time but God is good and I am getting better thanks to him and a great doctor in Dallas.... This is a photo.  I hope to get back started next week working on it.  You can see the remote oil filters and the 6.4 PS pump in the photo..also some of the AN lines

CudaMoparRay

Looks like a heck of a project. Will keep an eye on it.  :welcome: from Sylmar, CA

Katfish

Nice, very interested in all the details.
What you're doing is my long term goal to emulate.

Mpdlawdog

WCC

Quote from: pilotusmc on October 07, 2018, 11:08:33 PM

Originally bought  two  6.1 hemis out of 2007 cars for total of $1800...Both had overheated and dropped  valve seats into the cylinders, seems to be a common problem with 5.7 and  6.1

Yeah, for some reason they press fit their valve seats. Seems a common problem for it to get loose on overheating.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the Site ,  :wave:
Looks like a great project , I helped do a 6.1 install 2 years back , did it in 5 days still runs great !
Steel valve seats in alum heads are generally pressed in , how deep & how much interference is the issue , it seems the Hemis are ok as long as they are not overheated , even 2.2, 2.5 , 3.3 ,3.8  engines all have alum heads with steel seats although the valve diameter is smaller , the other option is to thread them in . One 3.3 I owned was severly overheated but did not drop a valve even though the head gasket failed , thankfully !

soundcontrol

Nice project! Doing the same thing, same car and engine. But have not done much for a year now due to work. Car is still in bodywork mode (when I get back to it).