Main Menu

6.4L hemi from a truck

Started by Swamp Donkey, January 15, 2018, 09:48:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

What are the downfalls of using a 6.4 hemi from a truck.  If I'm going to complete rebuild the engine minus the crank, is there that much of a difference.  I was told the stock truck hemi heads will flow more than the Apache head after cnc porting. 

I'm not sure if going all crazy on a used 6.4 is really the way to go when the hellcrate engine is available.  Long story short, I found a 2014 6.4 hemi out of a truck for sale with 170,000 kms, but I think I will be further ahead to do the hellcrate then rebuild this truck one and add some sort of supercharger or turbos
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

HP_Cuda

Hell crate w/ harness and ECU all the way.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

1 Wild R/T

Gotta ask yourself how much power you really need... Stock a 6.4 is good for 400 Hp.. If that plus a little more is enough I'd look for a low mileage 6.4 that can be used as is... If you need 700 HP don't waste your time buy the Hellcrate.. Personally I think 400 HP maybe 450 is plenty with a well chosen trans & gear... But I'm not racing, I like putting miles on my stuff...

Katfish

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 15, 2018, 03:01:48 PM
Gotta ask yourself how much power you really need... Stock a 6.4 is good for 400 Hp.. If that plus a little more is enough I'd look for a low mileage 6.4 that can be used as is... If you need 700 HP don't waste your time buy the Hellcrate.. Personally I think 400 HP maybe 450 is plenty with a well chosen trans & gear... But I'm not racing, I like putting miles on my stuff...

Well said, I know it sounds good to say "I have 700 hp", but in reality, what are you going to do with that?
If you plan to race it, go for it.  For a car that's actually driven, 700 hp is actually a hindrance.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Katfish on January 15, 2018, 06:23:11 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 15, 2018, 03:01:48 PM

Well said, I know it sounds good to say "I have 700 hp", but in reality, what are you going to do with that?
If you plan to race it, go for it.  For a car that's actually driven, 700 hp is actually a hindrance.

Agreed. My very very basic 5.7L is good for 400+ crank horsepower and, with a 6speed, is quite a bit for a street car. 100mph pulls do not take long to happen and traction is very limited at low speed [even w/traction control on the 'Cuda]. I'd like a whipple on it, but that would truly make the car a handful...
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JpRngr

Quote from: Katfish on January 15, 2018, 06:23:11 PM

I have to say, having driven a Hellcat on a couple occasions, they're actually pretty docile to drive. No problem around town or on the highway. If I could afford to, that would be the way I would go.

Now, having said that, a car with 4-500 horsepower is a LOT more fun, cause you can actually hookup the power on a street driven car(yes I know anything can be setup correctly). Anything over half throttle in the HC, just spins the tires. But, I'd still do the Hellcat, if I could afford it. Guess the 6.1L will have to do.

Corey

RUNCHARGER

Does the 6.4 even need a rebuild? That isn't that many K for a fuel injected engine.
Sheldon

Swamp Donkey

He said it was in good running condition.  I am not even sure what I would do with 700 hp myself.  But this is a lifelong dream car of mine, that I am only going to do once. So I figure I might as well go a little crazy.  I will do a little more research and see if the truck 6.4 is a great starting point.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Swamp Donkey

I did end up buying the truck 6.4 hemi.  Stay tuned.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RUNCHARGER

Excellent, they pull pretty good in a 6500lb truck. If you need more you can Supercharge it.
Sheldon

jimynick

Jeez, is there actually an engine in there? It looks like an explosion in a hose factory!  :unbelievable:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Swamp Donkey

I'm not going to use that wiring harnesses anyway.  But it sure does look like a tangled mess. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

YellowThumper

Just te removal of all that baggage should help.

Good luck keep us posted on progress.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Swamp Donkey

The truck Hemi heads were a home run.  Apparently I got the good heads with lots of extra material for porting and strength.  CNC porting is done, bigger valves installed and the intake flows 440 cfm on the intake.  Now I'm no engine building expert, but that seems like a lot of airflow.   Ordered a 426 stroker rotating assembly with  .010 over pistons.   The truck block is now at the machine shop, and apparently is the good block with extra ribbing for strength re enforcement. My friend said there was two other 6.4 Hemi blocks at the shop and he could easily see the extra material on my block. So far this has been a very good purchase for a performance build.  I went into it kinda blind. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

jimynick

You shouldn't have any real need to blow this thing what with 440cfm on the intakes! That should support way over 700hp NA. I'd put some compression into it and hold on once it's in the car! it'll be a beast- lucky you!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"