Main Menu

70 Baracuda Trans tunnel cutting to fit 8 speed AT

Started by SFEBODY, May 04, 2021, 03:35:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SFEBODY

Hey folks,

For those that know me, I am doing a resto-mod on a 70 Baracuda, installing a 2017 5.7 Hemi and mated 8 speed AT. My question is does anyone have photos or diagrams on how much of the trans tunnel needs to be removed to fit? and does anyone make a trans mount for this mod? Any help is greatly appreciated

Brian

Purepony

Hi there

Very cool swap I noticed your in Valencia ?
I'm in Santa Clarita too

SFEBODY

Still looking, someone on here has to have photos of when they did this swap? Also, I am no longer in Valencia, I am in Culver City area

anlauto

It was nice talking with you on the phone just now, sorry I can't be of more help..... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda416

I just watched an episode of Hot Rod Garage last night in which they were turning a 72 into a drift car. Did some really nice stuff with suspension etc.

BUT, they also shoved a 6.4 in and a tremec from a GM. In the process, they cut the tunnel out and the guy ('Lucky') said how he used to be really careful when cutting things and being almost surgical etc. He was told at one point to "Just cut it and build it back as needed.". I think the premise being, you aren't going to really know until you start, so just go big. I know we all have a hard time carving our cars up, but it's already not going to be stock and it's all "just metal". Not like your cutting sides for wood cabinets. lol.

Some of the best looking/done restomods have completely custom floors anyway to accommodate big exhaust, frame additions etc.

I'll probably get flack for this, but it's one school of thought. just cut what's in the way, then fab when you need to put back.

I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

-=C
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant