Main Menu

Gen 3 6.1 swap Cuda. Starter to clear steering?

Started by FSHTAIL, November 24, 2017, 05:25:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Friends doing the swap. 
What is the go to starter when retaining stock steering?

Thanks. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Chryco Psycho

We used a generic Mini starter on Dans build , it bolted to the trans the same as we used the 727 & later the 833 lots of clearance .
anythung from a Truck or van v6 or v8 with LA or magnum will work

soundcontrol

I use a NAG1 tranny, that one is tricky, has the starter on the passenger side, but I changed that by getting the bellhousing from a Jeep Cherokee.
I also got a new Jeep starter, (looks like any mini starter) that worked out fine with TTI headers made for a 727. I don't think the starter/steering is a problem with any tranny, the headers can be though, but TTI makes them for most swaps, not my NAG1 though.

JpRngr

Quote from: soundcontrol on November 25, 2017, 04:25:21 AM
I use a NAG1 tranny, that one is tricky, has the starter on the passenger side, but I changed that by getting the bellhousing from a Jeep Cherokee.
I also got a new Jeep starter, (looks like any mini starter) that worked out fine with TTI headers made for a 727. I don't think the starter/steering is a problem with any tranny, the headers can be though, but TTI makes them for most swaps, not my NAG1 though.

My TTI swap headers work fine with my NAG1, other than, like you, having to swap bell housings to get the starter on the driver's side. I too, used a Jeep bell housing and starter.

GoodysGotaCuda

I just have a dakota magnum v8 starter, no issues.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Blake@diyhemi.com

I recommend the OEM starter from a 2005 Ram 2500 truck with 5.7 hemi and manual transmission.

The starter is very compact, clearing almost all header applications while retaining OEM fit and durability. It can be had at most local auto parts stores for $110 USD new. I purchased the one for our 70 Barracuda build from NAPA for $100.
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!