Main Menu

Hellcrate Wiring Questions w/ Dakota Digital Dash

Started by pfonda, December 04, 2020, 08:02:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

pfonda

So, I have a Hellcat engine on order, with the standard wiring kits that are offered along with it. This is for a '73 Cuda. My main questions are:

1. do you still need the ballast resistor on the firewall for any reason? what about the voltage regulator?
2. i currently have a dakota digital dash. is it pretty straightforward to tie into this? figured I'd either directly run lines from the engine to the dash for signals, or order the OBDII interface so the dash can directly plug into the ECU
3. what ends up still being wired through the firewall on the bulkhead disconnect?

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

JpRngr

1. No, ballast resistor was for stock ignition, I believe. The new computer will control the output of the alternator, so no need for the voltage regulator.

2. Sounds about right.

3. There wasn't a lot that still needed to go through that plug on mine. Mainly the front lights.

BTW, I used a Hotwire harness for my 6.1L install and an American Auto Wire vehicle harness. I was most concerned on how to integrate the 2 together when I did mine, but in the end, it went a lot easier than I thought. There wasn't a lot of integration needed, just removing stuff from the AAW engine harness that wasn't needed.

pfonda

Thanks for the feedback!

For items still going through the bulkhead disconnect, only ones I can think of besides the headlights and maybe wiper motor, would be things like the main ignition lines from the steering column, but assuming these would be re-routed to wherever the new electronics are.

anlauto

horns windshield washer as well  as the headlights and signals
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration