Main Menu

Hellephant - Is it feasible?

Started by 303 Mopar, October 31, 2018, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

With the announcement of the Hellephant crate engine with 1000 hp and 950 ft/lb tq, I was thinking about dropping one in my '68 Charger.  Beyond whatever the cost of the engine, harness, and front end is from Mopar you still have headers, maybe a tubular k-member, and engine mounts just to wedge this monster in the car.  Then I was thinking that I would have to replace the rest of my drivetrain to handle 1000 hp.  So now its a new transmission, driveshaft, new Dana with stout axels.  I have subframe connectors so that will help but may need inner fender and radiator supports.  I'm guessing a total of $50k minimum.

I'm left with is this magnificent engine even feasible?  And is there such a thing as TOO MUCH hp for a street car? And if so, what is the limit?   :thinking:

Brads70

You could make your tire choice act as the " fuse" ?  HP/Torque is somewhat irrelevant if you can't get it to the ground? 

71-440

Not for everyone for sure. That's a lot of power for a street car.  :thinking:
Joe

GoodysGotaCuda

It's cool, but unrealistic. Unless you're doing heavy highway pulls, you only need as much driveline as you have traction...which will be a problem at practical speeds.

I think a standard hellcat engine walks the line of practicality for a street car. 1,000hp is just silly.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

What trans can even handle that much power?  It's crazy how much HP that is.

71-440

Quote from: Brads70 on October 31, 2018, 06:55:37 PM
You could make your tire choice act as the " fuse" ?  HP/Torque is somewhat irrelevant if you can't get it to the ground?

Good point. That concept is lowered, longer wheel base, completely different suspension and more aerodynamic than a real '68.  Not to mention all the safety features built into a modern car.

Unless your running it at the track. Then add all the stuff you need for that. Roll cage etc.
Joe

Brads70

303 Mopar

Chryco Psycho

Starting with better parts I bet the cost is similar cast a heavier block but once the casting is done the cost of the block is the same
Similar situation with the rest of the parts!
950 tq on the street is crazy

RUNCHARGER

I was thinking the same, that all the parts probably cost close to the same anyway. Honestly, putting this engine on the street would only be to puff out your chest. My Viper is only 600HP with 345's and I have to feather it in first and sometimes even in second. I could see buying this engine and bolting it into a race car though, I think it's a pretty cost effective way to come up with 1000HP and in a good chassis that could be some fun.
Sheldon

gzig5

I think I read that it's supposed to be around $25k with the harness.  New aluminum block and larger supercharger get you the extra HP and drive the price.  I know in my car as it sits, it would probably rip the front subframe out so I think you are going to need substantial reinforcement up front and some hella-strong motor mounts. Without slicks you can't hope to get that hp to the ground with a tire you can fit in the stock B/E body wheel well, but it would be fun to try.

Rich G.

It's probably more about bragging rights then usable power. It would certainly draw a crowd at a show. Expensive toy if it's done right! You know what they say, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest  link.

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2018, 09:01:07 PM
950 tq on the street is crazy
My cummins is rated @930tq. Although I use it to pull a load, not pull hard at the street light..
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Shane Kelley

What has been mentioned is correct. The car will never hook on the street. I say who cares! That is totally badass and if I didn't have so many irons in the fire I would be sticking one of those things in my Road Runner.  :burnout:  You couldn't build that horsepower in a vintage motor for that kind of money and you would never have the reliability that thing will have.  If you really think about it that's a pretty good price for what you get.