Main Menu

I have the opportunity to buy a Hellcat engine.

Started by Swamp Donkey, November 07, 2017, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

I have the opportunity to buy a Hellcat engine with less than a thousand Km's on it.  There was a problem with the radio in the car, and it burnt up the car.  The guy said that all the plastic parts on top of the engine, coils wiring etc got burnt up.  Anyways long story short, the engine turns over fine, as does the supercharger apparently.  So is it worth me spending $12,500 bucks?  I have not asked the guy for a picture yet, just curious as to what my fellow Mopar friends would think.  Keep in mind, Mopar has comeback out with the hellcrate engine for around 20,000 usd

I wonder if there is very many plastic parts that could have gotten hot inside the supercharger.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RUNCHARGER

It's probably a good deal. The new Crate one is $20k US. Do your homework on what it needs though.
Sheldon

Swamp Donkey

Thanks Roadman for the welcome.   I would introduce myself to the forum, but I have already done it in two other forums recently and it feels redundant.  Lol.  But I think I like this forum the best.  So maybe I will go through the ordeal again and make this site my home.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome @Swamp Donkey
I believe is suggested you should join us here about a month back .
It would seem that saving $8k would be a no brainer to me , obviously some $$ will have to be spent to replace the burned parts & supply computer & wiring , but I believe you wanted to swap i n a 3rd gen Hemi anyway . I would check the pricing to complete the pkg & compare to the new crate & negotiate from there .
@MoparDave can help you with pricing & you get a discount through the site as well .
IIRC you are in Northern Alberta right ?

Roadman

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on November 07, 2017, 05:17:34 PM
Thanks Roadman for the welcome.   I would introduce myself to the forum, but I have already done it in two other forums recently and it feels redundant.  Lol.  But I think I like this forum the best.  So maybe I will go through the ordeal again and make this site my home.

Well intro or not, you will not find more info anywhere than here.  Check out our resources section, videos, and some cool prize shop stuff.    :rebelflag"       :banana:

anlauto

Does the new $20K one come with a warranty ? I would keep that in mind.....it could turn out to be a $7500 savings that turns into a nightmare with the cost of the small parts and any hidden damage you can't see  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

Quote from: anlauto on November 07, 2017, 06:00:00 PM
Does the new $20K one come with a warranty ? I would keep that in mind.....it could turn out to be a $7500 savings that turns into a nightmare with the cost of the small parts and any hidden damage you can't see  :dunno:

Great advice, I think I'd probably get a new crate 392.
It's a gamble, might be good, might not......

Brads70

If it was half the asking price I'd still walk away from it.  :alan2cents:
Do you have a picture of it to post?

Swamp Donkey

I'm from Northern BC. Fort St John to be more accurate.  Real close to the Alberta border.  I will make a few phone calls tomorrow to a company in Spruce Grove Alberta that apparently has done quite a few 3rd gen swaps into older Mopars and they do tons of work on the newer stuff as well, and see what they have to say about a 6.2 Hellcat vs finding a used 6.4 and rebuilding that.  A 6.4 Hemi crate engine is less than 10,000 Canadian is also an option.

I am thinking if I want warranty, I will have to do the engine last!  This project is going to take more than 3 years. 

I have enough shekels saved up to buy the Hellcat engine now. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Swamp Donkey

No picture to post yet.  I just found out about it today.  So until I do a bit of research, I did not want to waste the guys time. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Chryco Psycho

I used to drive all over up north , I was through Cold lk & Pierceland Sask & Rainbow lk / Zama weekly & up through Dawson & Ft st John regularly too .
All too familiar with the area .
I have also done some 3rd gen swaps .
I doubt there is anything to fail inside the supercharger other than the brg seals on the rotors .

MoparDave

ok here is my 2 cents worth. nothing is serviceable with the super charger. Why risk it. Just that alone is over 14k. I can sell you a NEW production crate cat engine for 17k with a national power train warranty. this engine does come with a 3/100. Now how the warranty will work out with a failure down the road, that is something to be seen and to be handled with FCA.  even if that engine was 10k I wouldn't. I have never heard of a radio creating a fire in any LC/LX vehicle let alone any other product line as I've been at this dealer for a couple years Like 30. Something doesn't add up on the fire. :alan2cents:

I have 2 of these engine ready to ship, the wiring harness/computer kit will not be available until December.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

MoparDave

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on November 07, 2017, 07:07:29 PM
   I'm from Northern BC. Fort St John to be more accurate. 

I am thinking if I want warranty, I will have to do the engine last!  This project is going to take more than 3 years. 

I have enough shekels saved up to buy the Hellcat engine now.

with this said it will negate the warranty issue. Warranty on all parts start at the date of purchase. Not installed, not when first started. So if this is going to take 3 years to build and you buy the engine soon. then the mind set of having the "warranty is null"
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Swamp Donkey

Thanks MoparDave for the advice.  I think I'm going to pass on this Hellcat engine.  My ideal goal is to find a 6.4 and rebuild the engine to handle some sort of forced induction. So if anyone is interested in the engine, I can give you the auto wreckers info. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.