Main Menu

Manifolds

Started by Crusty, July 24, 2020, 09:17:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Crusty

I know there are probably several threads on this subject.  I just haven't found them. 71 Cuda with 5.7 and 727. What manifolds or headers is everyone using? I have the SRT jeep manifolds and they won't clear the manual steering box. Getting close to being done with swap besides this.

RacerX

Quote from: Crusty on July 24, 2020, 09:17:08 AM
I know there are probably several threads on this subject.  I just haven't found them. 71 Cuda with 5.7 and 727. What manifolds or headers is everyone using? I have the SRT jeep manifolds and they won't clear the manual steering box. Getting close to being done with swap besides this.

I am planning this swap also for my 71 cuda.    I haven't done it yet but I have acquired the exhaust manifolds.

My understanding is you want the Jeep manifolds, but they need to be the "stock" 5.7 units.   They are different than
the SRT manifolds and hug the engine tighter and the outlet is in a better position.    Looking at the ones I have in hand
I can see those characteristics and how they are going to help make things easier.   Not the best units from a performance
standpoint but I don't like headers.    We just want a nice reliable car with some fun to it when the loud pedal is pushed.  We
are not going racing so these manifolds will do just fine.

Katfish

Hey racer, you have PNs for those?

RacerX

Quote from: Katfish on July 24, 2020, 11:13:20 AM

53013606AB
53013605AB

Found on Jeep Commanders and Grand Cherokee with the 5.7

Picture is of the driver side piece...  I don't have a picture handy of the other side

Katfish

Thx for the info, anyone make the rest of the exhaust system to mate up to those?
Or head to an exhaust shop for something custom?

Crusty

Do you know what year these manifolds are.

RacerX

Quote from: Crusty on July 25, 2020, 07:50:54 PM
Do you know what year these manifolds are.

I think it was a 2006 Jeep that they came off of

Crusty

I bought the manifolds. They fit great but only have a 1 5/8 outlet. Compared to the 2 3/4 the stock ones and srt jeep have. That is a pretty big difference. More than i thought. Might have to go headers after all. If i can find a set that works with a 727 trans.

RacerX

Quote from: Crusty on July 30, 2020, 07:53:48 AM
I bought the manifolds. They fit great but only have a 1 5/8 outlet. Compared to the 2 3/4 the stock ones and srt jeep have. That is a pretty big difference. More than i thought. Might have to go headers after all. If i can find a set that works with a 727 trans.

Yea that is a pretty big difference on the outlets.   

Guess it depends on what you want to do...   for best performance the only one that really fits is the aftermarket headers, although I have heard of some fitment issues with starters and steering linkage.

For us with a stock motor or just a mild tune the manifolds will probably be OK.    The car will still have more power than it did in 1971!

Moprr

When I was doing this swap I researched this and the regular Jeep manifolds are the only ones stock ones that fit.  The smaller exhaust may be the reason why the jeeps had about 20hp less than the cars?  If you are just making a street cruiser the manifolds I think are probably fine. You can check the specs on how fast the jeeps were are consider it in car that's a lot lighter and it would probably be ok.  I also tried modifying the Jeep Srt headers and it would take too much work too be worth it.  Only options two simple options are the stock Jeep manifolds or headers. 

b5cuda

That's disappointing - I was hoping to use the set I have from a 2013 Charger 5.7 (looks like the one at the bottom in previous pic) in my '73 cuda.

Katfish

It would be nice to have the larger manifolds, but I'm ok with the standard exhaust if that's what fits.
It looks like you can buy a brand new set on RockAuto for $250.
I'm not up for spending $1k on manifolds, I'll give up the 20HP and use the money elsewhere.

Moprr

The car one definitely does not work on the driver side.

b5cuda

Very helpful info - thanks!