Main Menu

Starter hookup

Started by soundcontrol, March 25, 2017, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I looked in to this before but I forgot, and the Hotwire instruction are not superclear. Is the stock starter relay monunted on the inner fender used in a hemi swap? The Hotwire instructions says "You MUST use our starter wiring for the engine to start/run properly" ? Do they mean the stock e-body wiring or wiring for the new Hemi?

Cuda Cody

I would think it would be the new wiring and not the stock old E-Body wiring, but really that's just a guess.   :notsure:

soundcontrol

I think so too, looked at many pictures of swaps, and I do not see the old starter relay, just thought it would be easier to ask here then to try to dig up wiring schematics for the Hemi. Wanted to know so I can weld up the old holes for the starter relay.

Cuda Cody

303 Mopar

I ran the battery cable directly to the stock starter relay and mounted it on the drivers inner fender. Then ran the wire directly to the starter in the drivers side of the block.

soundcontrol

Aha, is there an extra cable hooked up to the starter from you Hemi harness? Or does that go to the stock relay?

303 Mopar

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 25, 2017, 12:57:46 PM
Aha, is there an extra cable hooked up to the starter from you Hemi harness? Or does that go to the stock relay?

I cut and removed the starter cable in the harness as it is not needed.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Exactly, you can go either way. It all depends on some harnesses that use the ecm interface or not. Deciding If you want the ecm to control the start function is what is at stake. Works either way.

The ecm "runs" when it detects cam and crank sensor pulses. That happens when the starter turns the engine. You can wire it up old school like mentioned or through the ECM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Chryco Psycho

I prefer simple, the relay is easy , reliable ,simple to change , my 2010 van will not start 1/2 the time as the computer seems to get grumpy about activating the start circuit , so using the 70 method is  :ohyeah:my preference

soundcontrol

Great, I get it now. I'll will go old school and use the relay. Thanks guys!

Katfish

Old thread, but related question.
Is there any reason you can't use the same mini starter that works with a 340 and auto trans, when switching to gen3 motor with old auto trans?

See some offering Gen3 starters for $300?
Why is that needed? Starter bolts to trans?

Chryco Psycho

It should be Ok assuming it clears the block & the flywheel is compatable

anlauto

I've learned recently there is at least two types of mini starters....One that I bought had the solenoid on the side and when I installed it on a 392 with TTI Headers it was real tight to the header....after reading TTI's website, for the next car I bought the one they recommend and it has the solenoid on top of the starter....which will offer WAY more clearance  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

Thx for the update,
Any details on what application to look for?
Something that can be picked up at parts store?

soundcontrol

I got a Jeep Cherokee starter for my 6.1/NAG setup, lots of room with headers.