Main Menu

Torsion Bar Crossmember Cutting

Started by 71chally, December 11, 2023, 09:18:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71chally

I've been looking at a variety of manual transmission swaps. Most of them require cutting the torsion bar crossmember. I've not seen anyone who boxed them, or made a brace.

It seems to me there is a lot of stress on this location and it should be braced. What does everyone else think?

anlauto

What kind of swap are you looking at ? Silversport has a 5speed that's a direct bolt in :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71chally

6.4l, with a T56 Magnum or T6060. I just didn't care for the amount of cutting of what I figure is a key cross member and then not bracing it.  I will check that one out, thanks for the tip.

anlauto

With that transmission choice you also have to consider the shifter location, lots of floor work will be needed and likely no console or a custom one  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Have you investigated a TKX swap? It's a lot easier and I'm not crazy about the ratios in the 6060 anyway. I agree on not wanting to chop the heck out of the floor and crossmember, making a huge tunnel that cramps the seats etc.
Sheldon

cudaragtop

I like the TKX for it's size and fit. Can handle 600 lb-ft torque and 7,500 rpm shifts
Pretty straight forward swap.
TKX Gear Ratios
3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, 0.72
2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, 0.68 OR 0.81

More work, more cutting but...
You can still keep a stock console and have the pistol grip shifter in the stock location.
I would definitely do some additional bracing of the torsion bar crossmember area.
I do like the T56 perfect fit kit from Silver Sport with close ratio and double overdrive. Two overdrive gears would be nice.
Can handle 700 lb-ft torque and 7,800 rpm shifts
TREMEC T56 MAGNUM GEAR RATIOS
2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, 0.80, 0.63
2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, 0.80, 0.63

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Dmod1974

I have the SST T56 Magnum kit in my car. The crossmember does get boxed and the trans crossmember itself is very heavy gauge steel, certainly much stiffer than some spot welded 18ga body panels like stock. If you're running aftermarket coil over suspension it's even more of a non issue since there's no load in that area anymore. Tunnel needs extensive modding, but the stock console still fits and the shifter is in the stock position. For the Hellcat, it's the only production trans with an appropriate torque rating to survive repeated abuse.