Main Menu

Used Hemi and trans swaps

Started by CudaMoparRay, April 28, 2018, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

What kind of car? Do you have a powertrain for it now?

There's a part of me that'd like to have an old mopar convertible on a full tube chassis with the hellcat powertrain. So get the attraction.

Putting the modern motor / trans in the old car does have some challenges but numerous people have already proven it can be done and it works well.

Chryco Psycho

Hmmm if the trans case has damage & is int he most protected area of the car how hard was it hit ?
Hard to say if it a good deal , 2/3 of the price of a new engine with a warranty but you get the trans included But it is damaged , looks like the Hellcat emblem was dented too .

RUNCHARGER

Tough call I think. I would pass but I don't really consider myself lucky.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I am not aware of any successful 8spd retrofits.

Not that it doesn't exist, but if that's the trans you want to run, figure out how you will control it before you buy it.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: ledphoot on April 28, 2018, 03:06:53 PM
What kind of car? Do you have a powertrain for it now?

There's a part of me that'd like to have an old mopar convertible on a full tube chassis with the hellcat powertrain. So get the attraction.

Putting the modern motor / trans in the old car does have some challenges but numerous people have already proven it can be done and it works well.

1971 Barracuda was 318 with A-727 now 360 with A-518 OD automatic transmission

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 28, 2018, 03:32:26 PM
Hmmm if the trans case has damage & is int he most protected area of the car how hard was it hit ?
Hard to say if it a good deal , 2/3 of the price of a new engine with a warranty but you get the trans included But it is damaged , looks like the Hellcat emblem was dented too .

I agree with your observation and based on it would probably rather buy new and have recourse as to warranty.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 28, 2018, 06:46:36 PM

Not that it doesn't exist, but if that's the trans you want to run, figure out how you will control it before you buy it.

I would like to have the engine communicate via the ECU to a matching modern 8 speed automatic.
I am probably one of the few that prefers automatics vs stick.
@Chryco Psycho did mention in a different thread that the A-518 should be able to handle the Hellcat crate engine ok this can be the go to if the 8 speed auto cannot be made to work with it. Obviously, easier and cheaper to leave the 518 but still prefer modern to modern if at all possible.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 28, 2018, 05:34:20 PM
Tough call I think. I would pass but I don't really consider myself lucky.

Pass it is  :iagree:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on April 29, 2018, 12:43:24 AM

I would like to have the engine communicate via the ECU to a matching modern 8 speed automatic.
I am probably one of the few that prefers automatics vs stick.
@Chryco Psycho did mention in a different thread that the A-518 should be able to handle the Hellcat crate engine ok this can be the go to if the 8 speed auto cannot be made to work with it. Obviously, easier and cheaper to leave the 518 but still prefer modern to modern if at all possible.

I don't believe that is a feasible option with what is available today. You would need a GM 4L80E trans, there are many standalone controller options available for that and they can be built to handle the horsepower sufficiently.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

xx88man

I'm definitely not an expert......actually I'm just trying to learn. Is there a reason you can't use a factory Transmission Control Unit (TCM?) on this setup? Of course I'm assuming that you're using the Hellcat ECU. The computer won't know that the car is older.
What am I missing here?
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: xx88man on April 29, 2018, 08:22:00 AM

I'm definitely not an expert......actually I'm just trying to learn. Is there a reason you can't use a factory Transmission Control Unit (TCM?) on this setup? Of course I'm assuming that you're using the Hellcat ECU. The computer won't know that the car is older.
What am I missing here?

Can't use the stock PCM, it wants to see all the stock components as in head lights tail lights, shifter, steering wheel, dash....

Follow this & start watching at 7 minutes....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRh5KIVO3CM

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: xx88man on April 29, 2018, 09:43:20 AM
WOW     :headbang:    :Thud:

It's a side effect of being a Dodge enthusiast. As you can see, the power train and drivetrain rely heavily on the other components sending CAN messages on the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

Usually at this point I mention how GM & Ford make all their stuff accessible for hotrodders to modify & Mopar had always made it difficult to modify their stuff... And while that does still apply at least they have stepped up & offered the Hellcrate....   

Back in the 90' when GM TPI's & Ford SEFI's were common swaps & all the info was available from a service manual, full pin outs, etc... To do a Magnum swap was an exercise in frustration... In all my searching of factory manuals I never found a pinout or a full schematic...  I spent time on the phone with Mopar Performance, they didn't exactly go out of their way to help....I did find little line drawings in the service manual that showed some of the info but nothing like GM & Ford.. Years Later when it had been done the hard way by reverse engineering we got some aftermarket support but Mopar never really got behind it....

So the Hellcrate is a step in the right direction but the overall support still isn't on par with the other guys...