Main Menu

Used Hemi take-out engines / vin ?

Started by BFM_Cuda, December 29, 2019, 09:12:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BFM_Cuda

Looking at a used take-out 5.7 engine for my 71 challenger swap, what does the 8th digit vin number represent? For example, the listing says the 8th digit is a "T".

Does anyone know if the Mopar swap harness will only work with certain version engines?

BIGSHCLUNK

The T is just the assigned designation in the VIN to identify what motor is in it. Every manufacture uses this system on production vehicles.     

BIGSHCLUNK

And that designation can run over several years. Altho not all VIN T's are the same. The motors will have differences in series. Let me attempt to explain - The T in an '09 RAM is not the same as a T in a '14 Chally. Yes both 5.7 but different. Emission standards, application, changes in electronic' ect. Hope this makes sense. Now that being said there are adaptations that can be made..... but not always     

Katfish

Following along, looking to pick up an engine also.
So much info, would be nice to know which model and years are easier drop-ins.

BFM_Cuda

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on December 29, 2019, 09:24:42 AM
And that designation can run over several years. Altho not all VIM T's are the same. The motors will have differences in series. Let me attempt to explain - The T in an '09 RAM is not the same as a T in a '14 Chally. Yes both 5.7 but different. Emission standards, application, changes in electronic' ect. Hope this makes sense. Now that being said there are adaptations that can be made..... but not always   

Thanks BIGSHCLUNK, I understand what you mean.   :cheers:

BIGSHCLUNK

Blake@diyhemi.com

You can do it, we can help [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!