Main Menu

1st Time MOPAR Owner, 72 Barracuda

Started by justincollier, November 06, 2022, 07:02:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

justincollier

I'm excited to be here and learn. I purchased last week from the second owner, who had owned it since 1981. We live on the same street and I've driven past it everyday for the past 10 years. It never moved, so I finally asked about 8 months ago, and he was ready to let it go. He made me a great deal, and I entered the MOPAR world. Hoping to have it back on the road within the next few months. I've posted a few pics from when I inspected it Tuesday, Nov. 1.

Thanks!

Blowout

:welcome:. Looks like a great project to start with. Best place for help and to show your progress.

larry4406

Rich G.

Nice car! Good luck with it. Welcome to the money pit of owning a Mopar! 🤣

anlauto

WOW...that's a really rare car too ....1 of 338 ever made, rarer than most Hemi cars  :banana: :banana: Best colour too !

Welcome to the best E Body websites in the world :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Welcome to the site!!  Great car to have fun with!  Looks like a solid starting point!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

blown motor

Welcome to the site from Canada.

@anlauto  what makes it 1 of 338?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Only 338 1972 Barracudas with a 340 automatic (US Production) made :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

cudamadd

Welcome. Nice car to enter the mopar world. Great colour hope you enjoy this forum cheers  :australia:

Chryco Psycho

JS29

justincollier

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and production numbers. I would never have guessed 1 of 338. I got to spend some time with the car today cleaning out the previous owners belongings and vacuuming 10 plus years of build-up. Also, great news, the engine turns over by hand! I should know if I have a runner very soon.

I did want to further the conversation based on what I found during cleaning. If this needs to be a separate thread, please move. In conversations with the previous owner over the past few months, he had mentioned it was a government car. He said ATF, he wife mentioned Secret Service. Like most Missourians, I'm skeptical, but I played along. I thought, "Why would a government agency have a Barracuda?" Well, attached is what I found today. It appears to be a secret service inventory number. Has anyone ever heard of E-Bodies being used by any government agency? I thought maybe it might have been a seizure car, that was just used, but the fender tag has Y39, so I wondering if it was actually ordered by the Secret Service. I haven't yet looked for the broadcast sheet. That may help with the mystery.

What I know from the previous owner is that he purchased it at a government auction in downtown St. Louis, sometime in the first few months of 1981. He said it was the only car in the auction. "My kids were getting close to driving age, and they needed a car!"

MoparLeo

:welcome: aboard. Very nice start.
Now the list begins. Factory Service Manual. (download is here for free).
Complete inspection. Top to bottom, front to rear.
Make your list. Safety items first. Fuel hoses & lines, tank, sending unit, fuel pump, filters, carb (rebuild possibly)
all fluids drained, flushed, refilled with new.
Anything rubber, belts, hoses, clamps, brake lines, heater control valve, check core plugs, all wiring.
Brake system, calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, metal brake lines, bearings serviced, seals, rotors & drums measured and machined and/or replaced in pairs as needed.
Electrical wiring/grounds cleaned, bulbs replaced etc...
Going to need a clean workplace, area to store removed parts, proper tools and literature. Good quality floor jack and good quality jackstands. Good job and/or bank account. Good friends to help. Fire extinguisher handy always.
Now the fun begins...
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

HP2

Quote from: justincollier on November 06, 2022, 01:50:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and production numbers. I would never have guessed 1 of 338. I got to spend some time with the car today cleaning out the previous owners belongings and vacuuming 10 plus years of build-up. Also, great news, the engine turns over by hand! I should know if I have a runner very soon.

I did want to further the conversation based on what I found during cleaning. If this needs to be a separate thread, please move. In conversations with the previous owner over the past few months, he had mentioned it was a government car. He said ATF, he wife mentioned Secret Service. Like most Missourians, I'm skeptical, but I played along. I thought, "Why would a government agency have a Barracuda?" Well, attached is what I found today. It appears to be a secret service inventory number. Has anyone ever heard of E-Bodies being used by any government agency? I thought maybe it might have been a seizure car, that was just used, but the fender tag has Y39, so I wondering if it was actually ordered by the Secret Service. I haven't yet looked for the broadcast sheet. That may help with the mystery.

What I know from the previous owner is that he purchased it at a government auction in downtown St. Louis, sometime in the first few months of 1981. He said it was the only car in the auction. "My kids were getting close to driving age, and they needed a car!"

Maybe that is why there is that funny looking PA loudspeaker looking thing under the hood...unless its an oooo-gaaa horn.