Main Menu

Back in the Game From Milwaukee

Started by gzig5, April 02, 2018, 09:32:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Hello all from sunny Milwaukee.  I am a long time Mopar guy and my first car was a 1972 Barracuda B5 blue with the little 318 and automatic.  Loved that car.  Dad and I did the bodywork and paint then I added headers, Edelbrock intake and a 600 Holley.  An unfortunate accident took it off the road (replaced by '77 Dodge Aspen RT w/ 318 4-speed).  It was drive-able but needed work and after a couple years real life crept in and I was forced to sell the Barracuda and move on.  A truly sad day that I immediately regretted and that regret continued and grew over the next 30 years, almost to the month.  A few years ago I got a good deal on a 2000 BMW M5 and that's been a fun car with 400 HP and a six speed.  But I ran out of things to do with it without investing cubic dollars that could never be recouped.  Plus, the BMW M-tax is worse than the Mopar-tax for parts and kits (minimum $2500 for a set of decent headers).  I never stopped looking for another Barracuda and long story short, I found one I could afford in good enough condition that was close enough, and I took the leap.

The car is a 1973 Cuda, 340 automatic.  Originally Silver Frost but now a dull peeling black.  The car has issues, but also pretty good bones. All the parts are there to make a complete car.  It will need trunk floor, rear quarters, and a roof skin to get rid of the loverly sunroof.  It took a hit in the front and needs a little attention there still, but again I think it has a lot of potential.  Original motor is gone and it has a Aug 1970 340 from MY '71 with J-heads in it.  Probably has a pretty stout cam in it.  On the plus side, it comes with the original twin scoop sport hood and an interesting AAR knockoff fiberglass hood.  There are two extra front fenders and two complete doors in VG shape.  The interior needs carpet, seat covers, and of course a dash pad and headliner but all the panels are nice.  Frame is straight and little to no rust on the floor pans or structural parts underneath.  I didn't steal it, but considering the condition of the car and the value of the extra parts, I'm pretty happy.

The short term plan/goals is to get it moving under it's own power.  I'm making headway there.  Once all the tune issues, leaks, brakes, fuel tank/lines, etc are done I plan to drive it as much as possible.  I'll start the restoration work in small bites because I currently don't have space to tear it all apart and do a complete resto.  That will come in a few years when I retire but until then it will be baby steps and live with the Joe Dirt look.  Might have to let the old mullet grow back out.  Because it isn't a survivor or numbers car, I may take few liberties in the engine/trans/suspension areas but nothing that isn't reversible if needed. 

I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of newbie questions and I'll do my best to search first.  Having not touched a carburated engine in 25 years puts me a little behind the curve.  Looking forward to meeting any members that are local and joining in the discussions and providing value where I can. 

Greg

71-440

:welcome:
Welcome to the forum from Atlanta!
Cool story and glad you are getting back into a Mopar. The people on here have a lot of knowledge
with restoring these e-bodies so your in the right place.

Joe

dodgemania

Shane Kelley

:welcome:  Looks like a good starting point!  I would consider the motor a considerable upgrade to the original. I would prefer it that way myself. :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from B.C. Canada. Great car and you have a good, solid plan for it.
Sheldon

bluespruce

Welcome from Colorado, that will be a fun ride

Jim AAR

:welcome: from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada :canada:

You have found your E-Body home, the best E-Body site in the world...

Chryco Psycho

Welcome Greg
looks like a fun project !!

Cuda Cody

Welcome @gzig5  :welcome: looks like you found a cool car.  Thanks for joining us.

Jay Bee

:wave:  Welcome aboard from Ontario.   :canada:   Glad you found another car.

340challconvert

Welcome from New Jersey
Glad you are back in the game!
:welcome:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

BIGSHCLUNK

CudaMoparRay

71383bee

Welcome!  Good to see another local late model E body nearby!
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Brads70

Welcome, great project ! Looks like a lot of fun !