Main Menu

First Post from Oz

Started by Felinity, May 10, 2023, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Felinity

Greetings from Perth, Australia.  Coming into winter now and the cold winds and rainy season. Perth and most of the West coast is classed as a 'Coastal Desert' even though we are right near the ocean, so we get all the extremes of temperature and droughts etc that are associated with deserts.  Not only that but I think I read somewhere that Perth is the second windiest city in the world, with Chicago ("The Windy City", which I always remember Chevvy Chase saying in one of the Vacation movies) being number one.

I have been on various forums over the years but this one impressed me greatly when I was recently researching subframe connectors.  I read some great informative threads and saw some amazing members' welding/fabrication skills plus with great pictures as well about installing them.

Will be posting a couple of questions tomorrow about ones I just bought as well as one about axles studs ( I think you call them 'lugs').

hasta mañana!

Dakota

Welcome to the forum.  The spring season is just underway here in the northeastern United States so it's easy for me to assume that's the weather everyone else is experiencing.  Didn't know this was the start of winter for Australia.  This forum was and is a great place to learn as well as getting to know some great people.  We look forward to your questions!

JS29

JH27N0B

Welcome, from the Windy City area.
Despite the nickname, Chicago is not especially windy.  How the nickname came about is in some dispute, but seems to be a reference to the windbag politicians here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City_(nickname)
Now there is likely more wind here coming from carjacked cars speeding about, and from cars drifting at the many street takeovers that happen nightly.  :haha:

Felinity

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 11, 2023, 07:32:13 AM
Despite the nickname, Chicago is not especially windy.  How the nickname came about is in some dispute, but seems to be a reference to the windbag politicians here.
Now there is likely more wind here coming from carjacked cars speeding about, and from cars drifting at the many street takeovers that happen nightly.  :haha:

Thanks for the interesting reply - did not know that!  So much we take for granted that we hear, thinking it's the truth, is actually not.  We have our own set of 'windbag pollies' over here too, enough said on that sordid subject.  But Perth is definitely windy in the traditional sense as well.  It was named after a place in England, as are many of our cities and towns, as so many of the first settlers were from the UK.  And our State is Western Australia (WA) and I have seen some Americans get confused when I order things as it's taken for Washington State, (WA).

Felinity

Quote from: Dakota on May 11, 2023, 03:12:24 AM
Welcome to the forum.  The spring season is just underway here in the northeastern United States so it's easy for me to assume that's the weather everyone else is experiencing.  Didn't know this was the start of winter for Australia.  This forum was and is a great place to learn as well as getting to know some great people.  We look forward to your questions!

Thank you...!

Blowout

:welcome: great site to be a part of.

Matt13

Quote from: Felinity on May 11, 2023, 09:44:03 AM
Quote from: JH27N0B on May 11, 2023, 07:32:13 AM

Thanks for the interesting reply - did not know that!  So much we take for granted that we hear, thinking it's the truth, is actually not.  We have our own set of 'windbag pollies' over here too, enough said on that sordid subject.  But Perth is definitely windy in the traditional sense as well.  It was named after a place in England, as are many of our cities and towns, as so many of the first settlers were from the UK.  And our State is Western Australia (WA) and I have seen some Americans get confused when I order things as it's taken for Washington State, (WA).
So glad we got out years ago. I feel bad for all my friends and family that can't escape for whatever reason.

Felinity

Just a quick forum question... I've noticed the "Trade Count" below the member's name.  I assume that is exactly what it means (eg Boilermaker, Mechanic, Plumber, Electrician etc) or is it something more related to the forum?.  I did a search but no results.  How do I change mine? As I have two.

Thanks.

JH27N0B

"Trade count" is feedback if you sell items here.  Similar to feedback in eBay.
Likes you get if people click like to a post you make.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site , Thought about moving to Perth years ago , glad I didn't now !

Felinity

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 12, 2023, 08:26:21 PM
"Trade count" is feedback if you sell items here.  Similar to feedback in eBay.
Likes you get if people click like to a post you make.

Aaahh - I see.  Thanks for letting me know - I would never have guessed that!

Felinity

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 12, 2023, 09:27:05 PM
Welcome to the site , Thought about moving to Perth years ago , glad I didn't now !

Yep, good decision - as the Mopar fraternity is VERY small here and quite cliquey.  There are very limited things here for US Mopar, mostly I deal directly with the States, or our Eastern States, but some of the supposed "big guys" in Mopar over here are crooks.  Would take a whole day and dozens of pages to relate my experiences and even a few of other people I have talked to over the years. 

I have sent things to the USA to get repaired and sent a whole Charger interior, including consol, interstate to get redone by upholsterers because Perth was too expensive.  So it was cheaper and with better results (IMO) including shipping to do that, than locally.

Great infrastructure though; world class highways, public transort system and Beautiful beaches everywhere!

jimynick

G'day mate and welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada:  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Felinity

Quote from: jimynick on May 25, 2023, 03:06:45 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada:  :wave:

Gday Jimynick, thank you.  I've bought quite a few parts from Canada as well, over the years!  And lots of OE parts I see have "Made in Canada" on them.  Those were the days ...[sigh]