Main Menu

Hello from Central Illinois

Started by headejm, January 03, 2017, 11:25:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Hello, my name is Jeff and I am a 1970 Challenger :looney:. I bought my first 1970 Challenger (and first car) 340, FC7, black vinyl top in 1974. It was repossessed and I paid $783 for it. You should have seen the time my buddies and I spent all day trying to put RH thread lug nuts on the LH side. Priceless. I wish I still had that car. I traded it for a sweet 1974 Monte Carlo. Dealer gave me $500 trade in. :crying: My next 1970 Challenger is my current car. It is a RT/SE, FC7, black vinyl, A/C, 383 Magnum, auto, 8-track, luggage rack. Originally came with a white longitude stripe but it's not going back on. Here is a photo the day I traded my 1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 straight up for it. I had $2,800 in the motorcycle :rofl:.

The car had 42,200 miles on it in 1980 and now has 42,800 miles. A lot of family, work, lack of money, and life in general got in the way of enjoying the car. Good news is I got to retire early this past year and spent all Spring taking the car almost completely apart. You really learn a lot about a car by taking it apart. It's all numbers matching and in fantastic shape. I'll be reusing lots of original parts soon as I can find someone to paint it. :headbang:

Looking forward to learning more about these wonderful cars and also sharing what I know. P.S. Here is the KZ (and a cool 1973 Cutlass in the background):

Cuda Cody

Hello Jeff and  :welcome:  That's a really cool story!  Sweet looking bike, but MY OH MY that is one freaking awesome Challenger!!!!  Can't believe you got that Challenger for that bike!  RT/SE in Plum Crazy with an 8-track!   :inlove:  And it looks like it's in really nice shape.  You scored big time!   :bravo:

Any chance you have any more photos of the your Challenger?  Not many of us get to see a 42,000 mile original Challenger.   How far along are you on the disassembly?  How's the rust issues? 

Brads70

Welcome, sounds like a sweet car!  :twothumbsup:

Spikedog08

Welcome to this awesome ebody site!  Cool story!  :)
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

headejm

Here are some photos that I used with a potential body shop. They didn't believe me when I told them the condition it is in. Car also has 3 broadcast sheets. No serious rust issues. Worst spot is the upper windshield channel and it's not that bad.

Cuda Cody

:takealook:  You were not kidding about it being clean!   That's about as rust free of an E-Body as you'll ever find.   :wowzers:   You had to be be pretty excited as you were taking it apart and seeing how solid it was.  Really looking forward to watching this one come back to life.  :popcorn:

headejm

Thanks Cody. I wish you were painting it for me.  :1place:

303 Mopar

Great story and welcome from CO!   :ohyeah:

Cuda Cody

That Challenger looks so straight and clean it could almost paint itself. 

Quote from: headejm on January 04, 2017, 07:55:57 AM
Thanks Cody. I wish you were painting it for me.  :1place:

Brads70

Wow that sure is super clean. Mine is from California and it's not anywhere as clean as that! Nice score! :bradsthumb:

headejm

I just need Cody to move to Illinois for a couple of months.  :please:

7E-Bodies

@headejm I realize this is an older post, but it really catches my eye as I also have a fairly pristine 70 RT in full disassembly right now in Central Illinois. Near Peoria to be exact. Mine is a low mileage also, at 64,000 and numbers matching with two build sheets. It'd be fun to get together and my shop is set up for it. My contact info is in my profile. Glad to have seen this post.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

packnsix

Must be something about disassembled Challengers in Central Illinois (Sullivan)...welcome.

7E-Bodies

Well Sullivan is 100 miles, but if life ever brings you to Peoria, drop me a line!
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and, as mentioned, that's a fabulous score on a very nicely conditioned piece! Enjoy!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"