Main Menu

Hello from the California Central Valley

Started by rikkitik, December 03, 2020, 11:30:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rikkitik

Hello all, 👋
I believe an introduction is in order.
I haven't owned a Mopar in 30 years, but am looking to rejoin the "brotherhood", if you'll have me.....😉
Long ago, I started out with a '69 Charger, 383 4spd. I really enjoyed that car. I rebuilt the engine, 484 cam, dual plane, 750 DP. Only time I had it at the strip, it went 14.00@105. Not too bad for a 3.23 "one legger" on street tires. Car scaled at 3962#, with me in it.
Then, a short stint with a '70 Charger R/T 4spd car. After that, a '71 Cuda 340 4spd.
When I had the Cuda, I happened on a rusted out '70 Challenger R/T 4spd for $1200. Bought it, and swapped the Dana,18 spline, and Rallye dash into the Cuda. Also freshened up, and dropped in my old 383. Was able to get a 12.8@112 in that car (also street tires).
Along the way, a divorce, and a shady (Corvette period ensued.....🤨). Had a '70 454 4spd for quite a while (w/Ultradyne solid lifter 👍), currently have an '02 Z06 with a Vortech supercharger (617rwhp / 526tq).
Anyway, I'm ready to put the plastic cars behind me (California smog restrictions too 🙄).
I'm retired. I was a Heavy Equipment mechanic/Millwright, at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for 26 years. I left there and became a Generation Technician at a local power utility.
It was a 100MW "Peaker" electric generation facility. Basically, 2 natural gas fired 747 turbines (LM6000), 50MW each.
Also, I'm 63, and still ride sportbikes/crotch rockets.......so, I'm not very bright. 😅
PS, I can't stand "Vette" people either, I'm not interested in the  attitude. I'm just a "knuckle draggin" mechanic.

CudaMoparRay

:welcome: from Riverside, California, very interesting story.

JS29

:welcome: Hope you find a nice E-Body and spend some quality time together!  :handshake:

7212Mopar

:welcome: from your north. What happen to the 71 Cuda?

Good that you are already retired. If Gavin has his way, no more natural gas fired powerplants, hydroelectric plants in the State. We will be using hand crank generators. May be he will band that also since I inhale oxygen and exhale CO2.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from B.C. Canada. BB, 4 speed Vettes are a righteous ride.
Sheldon

rikkitik

Quote from: 7212Mopar on December 03, 2020, 12:30:21 PM
:welcome: from your north. What happen to the 71 Cuda?

Good that you are already retired. If Gavin has his way, no more natural gas fired powerplants, hydroelectric plants in the State. We will be using hand crank generators. May be he will band that also since I inhale oxygen and exhale CO2.
Gavin can say whatever he wants, but right now, every mW of "green power" has to be "backed up" by equal mW of fossil fuel. Think of the load swings with an 1100mW solar field on a partly cloudy day. 😁
We had 20mW solar that we "owned", partly cloudy days drove the "real time" schedulers crazy. 😅😅😅
In "Load following" mode, our power output chart would look like the scheduler was trying to write his name......😅
I don't know what ever happened to my old Cuda. I kept track of it for a few years, but eventually lost contact.
About 15 years ago, I sent contact info to registered owner through DMV. But it's a guarded process, so they don't tell you who it is, or if they received it. Never got a response.

usraptor

:welcome: from Utah from one knuckle dragging back yard mechanic to another.  :bigthumb:

Dakota

:handshake:  Welcome to the forum from Buffalo, NY.   Glad to have another "knuckle dragger" among us. 

1 Wild R/T

Where in the Central Valley?  Lawrence Livermore points to Modesto, Manteca, maybe Patterson... Lotta Mopar guys in that area..

rikkitik

Yup, you nailed the area. 👍
I'm in Manteca, I grew up in Livermore. ( a qualifier on "grew up"🙄)

I left LLNL, went to work for MID. The generation facility is in Ripon.
I went from a lousy 1hr+ commute, to a 12 minute drive up West Ripon Road.

cudamadd

First and foremost Welcome.  And secondly what a great introduction. Always glad to have some one with so much knowledge on board . Glad you joined enjoy cheers  :australia:

jimynick

"I'm just a "knuckle draggin" mechanic."  You know, that just may be the best thing about it, and it takes one to know one! Welcome from Ontario,  :canada: and good luck getting back into Mopar-dom.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Fish Tale

Welcome.  I too grew up in the central valley.  Not too far from Manteca actually.  Los Banos!

1 Wild R/T

If your screen name mentioned Mike instead of Rik I'd almost think I'd met ya.... Actually sorts knew a Mopar guy named Mike that worked @ LLL, that had a few Mopars back in the day including a Cuda with a swapped Dana & a 18 spline trans...  383 with a 440 crank & cut down Ford pistons, since back then there were no off the shelf stroker pistons...

rikkitik

Thanks to all for the greetings  8)
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 03, 2020, 09:50:35 PM
If your screen name mentioned Mike instead of Rik I'd almost think I'd met ya.... Actually sorts knew a Mopar guy named Mike that worked @ LLL, that had a few Mopars back in the day including a Cuda with a swapped Dana & a 18 spline trans...  383 with a 440 crank & cut down Ford pistons, since back then there were no off the shelf stroker pistons...
That's interesting. We used to have an annual LLNL car show (8500+ employees at LLL), I don't remember very many Mopars attending. It would have been great to see the car & meet him.
I was into a "plastic car" by about '86 though, so I never did show my Cuda, (plus, it wasn't a "show car"). But then again, we put on the car show as a "common interest" event. Kind of went a little "south" when we started giving out awards.
Actually had one guy call and bitch at me because we didn't have a specific class for his "award winning" 1966 Corvair Turbo Spyder"   ::)
Pic of my old '70 454 4spd (which ended up in Finland.  :dunno:)
😆