Main Menu

Long time E-body owner finally joining up!

Started by benguin, May 26, 2021, 02:25:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benguin

Hi all, glad to be here with such a huge wealth of information.  TL:DR version: still have the same 'cuda for 43 years.

I first started looking for the right Chrysler product in my first year of high school, and really the Mopar fans were generally the rarity with the Chevy, Ford, and Pontiac fans being the norm (but not Mr. Norm. :-) )

In May 1977, age 16, while going car shopping with my sister for an orange Plymouth Volare with white vinyl top, we spotted a 70 cuda on the back of the used car section.  The prior owner traded it in for a Chrysler Cordoba with rich Corinthian leather.   With reluctant parental buy in, we made a package deal, and I had the fish for $800.  It did have typical fender rust (Illinois), and was missing a few items, but drove well. The pie plate was gone, but it was a 340 car with auto and quite a few options.

That was my initial entry into a long association with Chrysler vehicles.  While in college in AZ, I was lucky enough to buy a 1970 "Western Sport Special" (SW dealer package) Green Go Challenger with a 318.  Drove that back to IL after the semester towing my friend's '64 Polara.  THAT was an interesting drive.

Although I had been very active in Mopar car shows, including the Chrysler Nationals in the 1978 to mid '80s, the car circuit was put on hold for a number of years except for local shows.  The 'cuda has been through a few iterations of work over the years, but hadn't been out of the garage for at least the past 5.  This year, I'm going whole hog on a refresh to get it back in operation.  Other than the FK5 paint, it's hard to believe it's the same car from 1977.

I look forward to more participation on the site, and happy to share accumulated knowledge and possibly whittle down all the "spare" parts accumulated in our aptly named "cuda warehouse" section of the garage.
   Ben

Brads70

:welcome:  Great story, glad you hung onto the Cuda!

JS29

Dakota

Quote from: Brads70 on May 26, 2021, 02:30:16 PM
:welcome:  Great story, glad you hung onto the Cuda!

:iagree:   

Glad to have you with us!  Welcome from Buffalo, NY.

Smallblock340

Great introduction! :welcome: to the site from Netherlands!
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

cudamadd

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

Welcome from Panama!
Once you find that special car it is hard to let go of it !

750-h2

headejm

@benguin  :welcome: from Central Illinois! I live near Bloomington if you need any Mopar support. Just send me a PM.  :cheers:

anlauto

......and now you've found the best E Body website in the WORLD....welcome  :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chris NOS

welcome ! that's fantastic you kept the car all those years !

DeathProofCuda

:welcome:

Welcome aboard and great intro story.  Would love to see some more pics of your Cuda over the last 43 years.  Way to hold on!

benguin

Quote from: headejm on May 27, 2021, 07:27:33 AM
@benguin  :welcome: from Central Illinois! I live near Bloomington if you need any Mopar support. Just send me a PM.  :cheers:

As luck would have it, I'm IN Bloomington.  You don't happen to have a B5 Blue??

Spikedog08

Welcome to the site from Michigan!  Great story and I have a similar one but it happened in 1982 and I still have my car as well. . . gonna be 40 years with me next year! 

Welcome! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!