Main Menu

Maybe not new, but returning

Started by Andrewg, April 07, 2023, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Andrewg

I'm back.
I've been off the site for a while now, but fortunately the car is much further along. I've replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, new plugs and wires, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. I got the car to start and run, and then pulled the entire front end apart for a suspension rebuild. Changed all of the bushings, new torsion bars, and converted to front disc brakes. All new brake lines, master cylinder, and booster. Found some new 15 inch slotted mags to fit the new brakes, and finally got new tires. I got to drive the car for the first time in years.

Next up is a radiator upgrade, and then start chasing down some fluid leaks. First will be the trans leak.
The best part is I even had the kids helping out a little here and there.

jimynick

Welcome back and congrats with getting the kids involved! Nice to hear you got to drive the old gal as well!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Skdmark

Sounds like you are making good progress.
Always cool to get the next generation helping out. I've found it's time well spent together.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

redAAR

usraptor

:wave: back.  Don't forget to post some pictures of your progress!   :twothumbsup:

Andrewg

Thought I'd share a couple pictures. Did a new radiator, shroud, fan and clutch, and fixed the leaking shift selector seal. I even got the registration current so I can drive it around a little now. So far so good!

DeathProofCuda

@Andrewg

:welcome: Back!

Car looks great!  I've always been a fan of slotted mags.  Would love to see a few more pics and get the specs on the wheel and tire sizes you are running.  :cheers:

Andrewg

Thanks @DeathProofCuda here are a few pictures that I've taken so far.

The car had a mismatched set of slotted mags on it when I got it back in the day but the style always seemed to fit the car. Even I was finally able to do the disc brake conversion and it required 15 inch wheels, I thought it would be cool to stick with the slotted mags. I was eventually able to find some older ones and then got them refinished locally, but the rears didn't have enough backspacing.  I ended up just buying some new ones from summit. The fronts are 7 inches wide, rears are 8 inches with 4 inches of backspacing. Front tires are 235/60 and rears are 245/60. It seems like a lot of guys are able to run bigger in the back but I just didn't seem to have the room. I made the cardboard thing trying to simulate how the tires might sit with with different sizes and backspacing.

DeathProofCuda

Thanks @Andrewg for the wheel information.  Its interesting that your back tires look huge in those photos, but they are only 245/60s.  I have 255/60s on the rear of my Cuda on 15x8 reproduction rallies, but they look smaller to me.

Andrewg

Yeah I was a little bummed when I realized that the 245 might be as big as I could fit but once they were on they didn't look too bad. It also might be relevant that the rear springs were changed back in the late 90s with some Mopar hemi springs. They might actually be worn now, the rear seems to slam when I'm driving or around the neighborhood.

Dakota

:clapping: Nice to see another one back on the road.   That "first drive in a while" is a great feeling.