Main Menu

My Challenger history

Started by stevec, June 08, 2017, 10:54:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

stevec

I posted this on another tread, but thought others might like to see my Challenger history.

Here is my history.
I started into Mopars with my second car, a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Custom. After seeing the movie 'Vanishing Point' (first national broadcast in 1978) I wanted one. Drool. I was working for a restaurant in Washington, and my new manager mentioned his 'baby' a 1973 Dodge Challenger, it was partly customized, the TA spoiler was blended into the body, wheel well flares molded (excellently done and the nicest I have ever seen), a small hood scoop (on a powerbulge) and a pontiac Tach on the hood, a rollbar on the inside. The car had only 18,000 miles and was cool. Drool #2. I wanted one badly. I swore that I would have one and soon.

Well, I was a senior in high school, working, bought cars and motorcycles, so getting a loan wasn't a problem. I had six loans approved, but which to get. Kompact Kar Korner (still in business) had a 70 R/T 440-six pack 4 spd, black, the 73 Rallye, Doug's Lynnwood Dodge had a 70 R/T, another 440 4BBL, 4-spd. BBC Dodge in Burien had a god awful (paint job) 70 R/T 383 4 spd, and a 74 Green 318 Auto, a private party had a 74 360 Auto. I was like a kid in a candy store, which one! Well I bought the fastest one I could, and it was the 73. OMG, that was a bullet.

I loved that car, and it was a few months after I got it, I was in the Navy (well, my last year in high school I was already in delayed entry, since I was 15, I knew I was going into the service), missed the car when I was away, used to cruise in Everett Wa, Colby Ave, Golden Gardens, Lake City, etc. Great times.

Needless to say, my girlfriend hated the Challenger, way to fast, had a lope behind the rumble, etc. Not to mention it got 6 mpg on a good day. I was also on the police radar. I was followed and watched. A lot of stories, and all true. To that end I was number 3 from Tacoma to Everett to watch out for. They had a picture of my car in every police station, and when I got home from boot camp was followed from downtown Bothell all the way home. The cop flipped on the PA and said "Hi Christensen, nice to have you home again". Another side story in a moment.

Well, with 6 months, left in the Navy, girlfriend, possibly getting married, I traded the 73 in on the 82 Challenger. Even with the car payment I was saving money. The 1982, may not get a lot of respect, but I will tell you, it's a stealth beast in it's own right. I left Fife, Washington at 9:15 am with stops for lunch and gas, I was in Treasure Island, San Francisco, at 10:07 pm, average speed 69 mph. in 1981, national speed limit was 55. The guy, who had the 1973 that was customized, we left snoqualmie falls at 5:35pm and went blasting through maple valley and were back in Lynnwood washington, parked in his driveway at 6:15 pm. Maple Valley we were doing better than 85 with the speedo buried.

Well needless to say, I got out of the Navy, broke up with the girlfriend and after a few months, wanted another Challenger, the bug bit me again, and wanting (no more like longing) to see the road from the Powerbulge hood and Rallye dash was fire in my blood. I started looking.

Working as a Correctional Officer in Monroe, Wa, I spied a Challenger in the back yard, After shift I went and spoke to the owner, and bought the car. (paperwork posted on FB). Anyways wanting to restore the car, and with little information available, I bought the dealer manuals and began decoding all parts that I could, I then got in touch with Chrysler Historical and worked with them for over 18 months going over the option codes, production figures, etc.
The main Challenger, became my Vanishing Point clone. I guess I had one of the first VP'ers in the country.

I stated E-Body Specialties, and was being contacted all across the country for parts and information, I started doing Insurance appraisals and dealers were calling me to look at their cars. With no real hard facts and only pretty pictures in magazines, I produced a book on the Barracuda and Challenger, all the option codes, production figures, misc, including the TV cars and a chapter on Vanishing Point. It was during this time I was able to get in touch with Barry Newman and ask some major questions about the movie. While everyone else was concentrating on the car, I wanted other things answered. I was writing a Vanishing Point II novel, had a story outline and partial script. Which I sent to Barry for his approval. To that end I was given all material for Vanishing Point II, and am the reason why the remake wasn't released on Nov 1995, but Jan 1996 and was called Vanishing Point, I called Fox. Letter posted on FB, etc.

This went on for a few years, I started restoring cars, buying and selling parts, connecting people and generally having a great time.
Was heavily involved with the Seattle Mopar Club, even ran into a meeting when I was back for my 20th high school reunion. (Ok, what are the odds, of being at a pizza joint (any pizza joint) the same night as a monthly MOPAR meeting! (and they say GOD has doesn't direct).

Well, after getting married, boys and their toys must at times part ways. Moving to another state, etc, life goes on.

Remember that meeting that I stumbled upon, well I must have gotten bite. Lightening struck again. We (wife and I) were at a church dinner group (Dinner for eight - 4 couples) and we drove up with my wife's Subaru. Well there it was, parked under a tree, car cover covering it up. I noticed the crease line down the trunk (you can't hide it from me, I can smell Challengers). I got out, pulled up the car cover to reveal inset rear quarter lights (it's either a 70 or 71) I called out Dick- any plans for this? He said naw, a guy offered him $1500 for it but never came through. I just about screamed, my hands were shaken. I said, 'If you want $1500, consider ii in my garage'. I went home listed an old Fireball XL5 (1960's TV show) playset and bought the Challenger. It's the green one that I posted.  Well I get the car home, rip out the standard dash cluster, put in the Rallye one that I had tucked away with the Tuff steering wheel. Working in pest control, I knew some local folks, and traded some stuff for a set of road wheels for the 71. It wasn't looking bad. Got a lot of thumbs up and oh, well, it was a Challenger.

Added: As a side note. When I bought this Challenger. I drove it to my in-laws in Boise. My Mother-In-Law (MIL) asked if I had ever seen a Movie called Vanishing Point. It seems like a good friend of hers, used to date Barry Newman. I sent Barry a picture of my latest Challenger and (below) is the letter back. Edited due to personal stuff. But there from Kowalski - "Drive that Challenger", so it seems I have multiple connections to the movie 'Vanishing Point'

Then after several hard winters, no garage, not enough money to keep her up and do repairs, I sold the 71 on Ebay. It went to a guy in Indiana who was thrilled with the condition. Bought it for $1500, sold it for $4500.

With the age of unhealthy gas, etc, I have always wanted another Challenger. Name runs deep in some souls.
I started looking and by this time. the prices were like saturn V's off the launch pad, to high for me. But I found a 1982 Challenger in Lynden, Washington on craigslist. Called the guy, made the plans and flew up to buy it and drive back to Boise.  I left Lynden at 10:30 an, stopped in Stanwood to see my brother, stayed for a while, had lunch with my sister in Everett, and then blasted to Boise, Idaho and was there by 10:20 pm. There was a grim from ear to ear, blasting from three states in a Challenger.

I'll attach a picture of my 1973 that the guy who bought it after I traded it in on the original 1982, had to sell it. I had caused so much trouble, that he couldn't drive it around without getting pulled over, etc. PS: I still have a warning ticket from the navy, where they clocked me coming out of a stop at 33 in a 25 mph zone.

In closing, yes, the 1973 did in fact come with the dana rearend. One time I punched it too quick and torqued the yoke, before the universal busted. The 1973 had the oats behind the wheaties.

Well, there is my life with Challengers. Glad to be here.

Steve
'The 2nd Generation Challenger Guy'

Cuda Cody

anlauto

Do you have any plans of getting another E Body ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

stevec

who knows, if I win the lottery?
The prices have gone way to high, for me to think about one.
I have been offered a considerable amount for my second gen. They made a number of them, but they are rare. If you google 1982 Dodge Challenger, you'll see mine.
Steve

anlauto

Yea...still not really an E Body....If it has solid value, maybe you could trade for an E Body.... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

stevec

I like the blue one, 440, 6 pack, from the movie of it, it sounds like it does have a hotter cam installed.
Steve

stevec

been offered 10K for it. Not many around like it. Mine has the road wheel package, meaning all wheel disk brakes, etc.
It does have a Hemi. See window sticker.

Here is my Youtube videos

Edit by Cuda Cody: Fixed Youtube embedded links
Steve

Cuda Cody

A 2600 CC Hemi.   :D  Didn't know they made a Hemi in the 80's.

Cuda Cody

stevec

thanks for fixing the links!
Steve

6bblgt

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 08, 2017, 01:36:47 PM
A 2600 CC Hemi.   :D  Didn't know they made a Hemi in the 80's.

they put them in K-cars also 4 CYL 2 . 6 liter HEMI

750-h2

I cannot remember the last time I saw a 2nd gen Challenger and yours is in great shape!

jimynick

Welcome to the site and it sounds like you've "been there and done that" in E bodies. Cool provenance and stories too.  I hope you get another E body to provide the right fix! As for that 2.6, they were Mitsubishi engines and were prone, if you didn't perform oil changes religiously, to fouling the oil passage that feeds the cam chain tensioner and when that doesn't work well the chain jumps and the engine goes out of time and bends all the valve in a microsecond.  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"