Main Menu

New here and just bought a 1970 Dodge Challenger "R/T" 440!!!

Started by MoparsNBurnouts, March 22, 2021, 11:42:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparsNBurnouts

Hey, Y'all! I'm Cody from Michigan. After looking at countless A, B and E bodies over the last 9 months I finally picked up a '70 R/T clone in beautiful B5 blue. I had it shipped here from Minnesota and it arrived last night. Sooooo exciting! I wish it didn't have a vinyl top (it wasn't born with one so somebody added it...WHO DOES THAT!?!), but I wanted B5 blue, so it had to be done. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from doesn't know what's been done to the rebuilt 440 other than it has some kind of Purple Shaft cam in it. He also put on 2" exhaust, YES 2" EXHAUST!, with glass packs. I will be ordering TTi 1 7/8" ceramic headers and 3" exhaust with an H or X pipe, not sure yet, today hopefully. Here are some pics of the car as it arrived that my brother took, and two the previous owner took. I'm sure I will be speaking to many of you, as I know I'll have a lot of questions. Thanks!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440

Brads70

Cdnchallenger

JS29

:welcome:  That is a sharp car! I am not a big fan of vinyl tops ether. I do however like the V02 two tone look. I had a FY1 yellow with a X9 black roof, longitudinal stripe. I thought it was sharp.  :handshake:

Dakota

:wave: Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY.   Glad you were able to find a car... she's a beauty!

RUNCHARGER

Welcome, that's a nice looking Hot Rod. Vinyl tops look pretty good on a Challenger so I wouldn't fret about it.
Sheldon

usraptor

Congrats on your purchase and  :welcome: from Utah.  Beautiful Chally.  You'll meet lots of friendly and helpful people on this site.  I have the TTI 1 7/8 " ceramic headers and TTI 3" exhaust with the X pipe with the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.  However, my 440 is a 512 stroker and putting out well over 500+HP.  You might want to stick with a 2 1/2" exhaust if your engine is basically stock.  Also, 3" exhaust pipes will necessitate changing out your exhaust tips.  Stock tips won't work with 3", not sure about 2 1/2".  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mopsquad

Congratulations!  Another vote for keeping the vinyl top.  First impression is that it looks great on your car.

headejm

:iagree: Love your new ride and  :welcome: to the best E-body site on the planet!

Keep the vinyl top if it looks like it was installed correctly. If the previous owner installed it correctly you will have a bunch of trim holes to weld up if you want to take it off.

cudamadd

Welcome nice car ,I would leave the roof on now because it's to much work to remove it .  I am with you not a fun of the vinyl  but I could live with it . Hope you drive the wheels off your car and enjoy it cheers  :australia:

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and congrats on scoring a good looking car, vinyl or not!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Welcome from North Carolina.  Sweet ride you have.....a real sleeper for sure.  Enjoy the car and you will enjoy the site!

MoparCarGuy

Great-looking car! It is screaming for those steelie wheels to be painted body-color!

anlauto

Welcome a board !  :welcome:

3" exhaust is likely overkill in my opinion, 2.5" is more than enough :alan2cents: ....My vote is vote rally wheels or mags and get rid of the steel wheels altogether  :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

:iagree:

rallye > steel

If steel, should be body colored

2.5 inch exhaust should work best