Main Menu

Started by AK Cuda, October 30, 2018, 04:49:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

AK Cuda

Hello all

New guy here from Eagle River, Alaska. 70 340 Cuda. Curious yellow 4spd car, Was wearing b5 & had a 727 in it when I bought it.

I have had it for around ten years?? I think I bought it in 2007. Id have to look. (I bought it in San Francisco & had it shipped to my dads in Reno where it sat for a couple years before I went and got it. ) I purposely bought a nice, non numbers matching driver because I eventually wanted to do a rotisserie resto-mod and I am in the middle of that now. lots to tell, and lots to share. Something came up today though and Im figuring the best way to find an answer was to join a forum. I am a member of a couple, but im too lazy to try and reset my passwords so i just joined a new one. I digress. I searched using all the keywords I could think of, just in case its already been covered. As far as I can tell it hasn't... does anyone know who actually makes the Mopar Performance front fenders for 70-74 Cudas that i just discovered exist today?? https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/77R06273/10002/-1    I have four fenders. three need work, one is crunched bad and full of rust and bondo. I guess im just curious if they are better than the AMD stuff or if they actually ARE amd pieces marked up... I dont know of any repro fenders that are as good or better than the AMD stuff.    any info would be really appreciated.

Heres one pic before the teardown. it looks NOTHING like this now. LOL

Jason

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave:
Great looking Cuda

Brads70

:welcome:  Cool car , what intake are you using in that picture?

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from B.C. Canada.
Sheldon

AK Cuda

Its an Edelbrock STR-12 that I hunted for forever. They are around, come up every once in a while. I powder coated mine blue. Its a two piece, and the gaskests are non existent. I sent the top to a guy in Texas though and he now cuts gaskets for them and sells them on ebay. There are a whole family of those intakes for Chryslers and some Chevys too I believe. The 340 ones are by far the hardest to find.

Chryco Psycho

I ran the STR14 in the past

Plumcrazzy

AK Cuda

The STR-14 is the 440 one right?? which top did you have?? 4x2 or 2x3?? ive seen those both ways. Ive never seen a 2x3 for a 340, but i have heard they exist. I think it looks cool, and makes the car stand out at shows. and at the gas station. :) the engine is .40 over with an eagle stroker crank to bump it up to a 418. Its a thirsty girl with those two 650's on it. TBH I haven't completely dialed in the thing yet, and the car is down now for at least the next two years. We dont get much driving time up here. There's a guy with a chassis dyno in anchorage though now, Ill have to pay him a visit someday. It used to hesitate quite a bit when you stomped on it. I put bigger accelerator pumps and squirters and jets in the carbs, and added an MSD distributor/6al ignition combo. that helped a ton, but its still kind of temperamental.

Chryco Psycho

Yes , the 14 is the 440 intake , used it with a single 4500 dominator top , never worked right for me , would have been awesome on continuous high speed / rpm runs but it held approx a cup of liquid fuel on top of the runners inside the intake so as it warmed up & evaporated the fuel it would run rich for a long time until the intake was dry & then it would go lean never worked right on the street , you seriously need to build dams on top of the runners to prevent liquid fuel sitting in there , I later switched to an M1 4500 intake that worked far better  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Welcome @AK Cuda    :banana:   :welcome:  Let's see some more photos!   :takepicture:

AK Cuda

Yep. I built the dams. The guy in Texas who makes the gaskets for all of them steered me straight on that. And yes, you're right, its pure hell wide open. Leaves a bit to be desired on the street. I like the way they look though.

blown motor

Welcome from Ontario. I think we have a couple other members here from Alaska but I don't recall their names.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

AK Cuda

Thanks!!

As far as AK members so, I wouldn't doubt it. Alaska might not be the first place one would think to look for old American muscle cars, but you would be very very surprised how much Iron is running around Fairbanks & Anchorage....

jimynick

Here's yet another welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada:  Good luck with your restoration, too!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

71-440

:welcome:

Welcome aboard from Atlanta!
Joe