Main Menu

New (old) member in Northern CA

Started by Odin, April 25, 2018, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

I had a 1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe in the 80s then nothing until a couple years ago when I bought a 2015 Challenger SRT.  The bug came back quickly.  I picked up a 70 Dart Swinger last year and a 71 base Challenger last January.  Neither of the classic cars are good candidates for full OE restoration due to lack of skills and lack of funds.  Both are more or less mildly aggressive daily drivers.

The challenger has no fender tag so I could not tell the original features.  Until I found the broadcast sheet behind the rear seat yesterday!!!  I want to have reproduction fender tag(s) made for the car.  How do I determine which codes from the build sheet would have been on the fender tag(s)?  What order would they have been in on the tag(s)?

I went through my recently discovered broadcast sheet and decoded everything I could make out.  As I said, the car has no fender tag so I was unsure of the original build up until now.  The car is pretty far from a restoration project and more of a hot rod/daily driver.  The sheet does match the VIN number on the dash and radiator support and front cowl and door stamp.  Many things on the sheet do appear to match the car as it is now except the paint (TX9 black to what is now blue/red with areas of white showing through); no more vinyl top, engine swap (318 to 440), and rear gears (2.76 to 3.91) are for sure different.  The upholstery is now that of a 1970 AAR Cuda, but in great shape and looks good.  The AC is gone which sucks on hot days already.  The luggage rack is gone.  The original Music Master 2-watt AM radio is now a 1990s model AM/FM/CD stereo system.  The aftermarket rear speakers are mounted to the package tray.  They are blown out and need replaced.  It also has 15" Rallye wheels instead of the original 14" road wheels.  I still have to determine how to ID the transmission to see if it is still the A-904 or a 727 now.

Codes I was not sure about:  C97 Trunk Dress-Up, M38 Deck Lid Finish Moldings, and P5_ unnamed were all under either a hole in the sheet paper or a dark spring marking and I couldn't tell if there was a code or not.  I could not find any existing P codes that started with a 5 anyway.  It appeared to have a faint "5" behind the spring mark located at N3_, but there is no code N35 either so my eyes are most likely playing tricks on me.

I am not planning to restore the car to its original glory, but it is very fulfilling knowing the original options and specs.  It does need a lot of TLC so it is possible it will be taken back to being a black car with aftermarket AC.  Either way I want to make a reproduction fender tag(s) matching the build/broadcast sheet, nothing false.

Cuda Cody

Welcome @Odin   :welcome:  Neat Challenger.  First time I've seen a stripe like that on a Challenger.  I dig it!  :banana:

dodgemania

Odin

I liked it in the Ford Gran Torino driven by Starsky and Hutch, but I am not a fan of it on this car.

Jay Bee

:wave:  Welcome aboard from Ontario   :canada: 

JS29

CudaMoparRay

bluespruce

71-440

Joe

jimynick

Here's another welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada:  and good luck with the decode and revisions!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Welcome!!! Modesto guy here... I visit Fairfield/Suisun occasionally to work at the Clorox facility.... Nice area...

Chryco Psycho

Welcome @Odin from Panama
Chall looks great , interesting stripe too .
There are some sharp people here that can help you sort out the codes for the fender tag  :bigthumb:

7212Mopar

Welcome from Bay Area. I always slow down driving through Fairfield. Seems to have the highest cocentration of cops who are more than please to give out speeding tickets.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket