Main Menu

New to classic mopar and this site.

Started by ronin_mopar, October 14, 2021, 05:58:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ronin_mopar

HI All.

I have been a long time owner and runner of modern MOPAR, but i recently got my hands on a pretty clean 1970 318 (No engine) barracuda. I am working on restoring to a resto mod fun driver.  Joined the site to have the wealth of knowledge and insight on my project. Looking forward to all opinions and suggestions in future.

Thanks

Skdmark

Welcome aboard. Tell us more about the car and what your plans are.
Pictures are always appreciated.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Dakota

:wave:  Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY.   Glad to have you with us. 

ronin_mopar

Thanks!

Its a 1970 Barracuda 318 Cali car, rusted out roof thanks to the vinyl and trunk base thanks to the cover in the trunk. Thinking of going 6.4L Hemi Gen 3 for reliability and sustainability. I wanna drive and enjoy the car. Parts and plans thus far are replace old with power steering and disc brakes, shaved side markers, sport mirrors dual exhaust cuts. Lots of other modernization's as well. Cars in the body getting new roof skin and trunk pan.

anlauto

WOW...looks like a super nice car to star with...Welcome to the best E Body website in the WORLD :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ronin_mopar

Thanks, i thought so when i got it, iv seen lots of 30k to 50k cars that had 5x as much rust and cancer on it than this one did.
I know its not a collector, engine was gone long time ago, no tran so im pretty much starting from scratch, crate drop in seems best bang and if im going that route why not run full modern cause the warranty and reliability is farrrr greater. Was thinking of doing a 360 bored out to a 408 stroker but... still going back and forth on that...

The majority of the posts iv seen so far on this site are for orginal restoration. Is there place or suggestions for people like me looking for modern things like LED headlights, modded clear parking lens etc.

anlauto

I just finished and shipped out this car: https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/a-g-a-r-this-just-in-shipping-day/19258/  You can read through the thread, I did quite a few modern upgrades on this car and the customer loves it !
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ronin_mopar

Quote from: anlauto on October 14, 2021, 07:53:12 AM
I just finished and shipped out this car: https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/a-g-a-r-this-just-in-shipping-day/19258/  You can read through the thread, I did quite a few modern upgrades on this car and the customer loves it !

So how was the 392 engine drop in with the 5speed Tremic tran.. what did u have to mod ie FAB on the car to get things to fit?  I know user  "303 Mopar" did the exact engine swap in the exact car i have and did a fantastic write up on it. I hope to have some conversations about the build and pros and cons.

JS29

:welcome: That looks like a good one to do the kind of project you have in mind.  :handshake:

anlauto

Quote from: ronin_mopar on October 14, 2021, 08:03:42 AM
Quote from: anlauto on October 14, 2021, 07:53:12 AM

So how was the 392 engine drop in with the 5speed Tremic tran.. what did u have to mod ie FAB on the car to get things to fit?  I know user  "303 Mopar" did the exact engine swap in the exact car i have and did a fantastic write up on it. I hope to have some conversations about the build and pros and cons.

I used the RMS (Reilly Motor Sports) front and rear suspension, so the 392 with a 5spd is a direct bolt in, no real fabrication needed. Once you start shopping around you'll find a lot of companies make the parts to directly bolt a Gen III into an E Body.  :twothumbsup:

ronin_mopar

Was the Reilly Motor Sports kit worth it, its a little more $$ than i was thinking to spend on just the front suspension. I was going to go with QA1 without coilovers but add double adjustable shocks.

I would like to build a fun to drive car, not a track or strip racer, so i dont know what the function was of the car you built with that beast RMS suspension. Also, when i got the car i got half of a front brake setup with new spindles and rotors. I realize now not all spindles or rotors are the same so i may have to rethink that.

Also, from a person who did this mod, did u paint the car first then put everything on or in? or did you put it all together, then take it all apart and then paint?  Trying to get a idea for my order of operations here.  I know i need the roof skin and trunk replaced thats a no brainer, just wondering the best path after that.

anlauto

The RMS kit also gives you rack & pinion steering  :dunno: I guess if you're on a budget, there are dozens of options. :bigthumb:

I built the car in a mock-up stage first, didn't finish everything, but it helped for installing the AC etc... then took it apart for paint...

ronin_mopar

haha , mopar.... budget... nice!

No not a budget but 5.5k for a front suspension is a bit much is all i was meaning. Specially since not doing drag, or track or anything like that. I had looked at QA1 and Hotchkis.

ledphoot

Quote from: ronin_mopar on October 14, 2021, 02:19:02 PM
haha , mopar.... budget... nice!

No not a budget but 5.5k for a front suspension is a bit much is all i was meaning. Specially since not doing drag, or track or anything like that. I had looked at QA1 and Hotchkis.

If your K-member is in good shape you can replace the upper control arms with the ones from QA1, re-enforce the lower control arms, use heavy torsion bars, put in a borgenson steering box and some good quality shocks.. I have the full QA1 setup up front with borgenson box, ride tech shocks, 1.12 torsion bars etc. and after driving it around a bit today I am fairly pleased with the results, I believe you can get there with the factory k-member to save some money in the process. I went with Hotchkiss leafs / hangers.

Rack and pinion is nice and all, but to be honest I don't see the big sell, I guess having a clearer path for your headers without the torsion bars and stuff is nice. Other than that? Meh..  These cars can handle pretty good with upgraded factory style components. I believe you can get the modern Hemi in just fine as well.

ronin_mopar

Thats what my research had shown, k member and everything else under the car is great no rust no holes, was gonna media blast it then have it powder coated.  The QA1 upper and lower with torsion and sway, then add in torque boxes front and back and sub frame connectors. I just wasnt to sold on the rack and pinion seeing as everything works fine right now and essentially everything is in relatively good condition, considering the age. I was going to upgrade only what i have to. or need to to give the greatest improvement in ride and handling.