Main Menu

New to Mopar world with a 71 Cuda 383 Shaker

Started by fuscobros, October 26, 2020, 02:50:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fuscobros

Hi gang.  I am brand new to the Mopar scene but a life long Musclecar fanatic (primarly a Pontiac guy) Last month I purchased this numbers matching 1971 Cuda 383 Automatic VERY heavily optioned (2 fenders tags) with a Shaker hood, Leather Interior and Factory Louvers...just to name a few options.  The car is ALL there, all original with 64k miles on it and a broadcast sheet I found under the rear seat.  I purchased it from the second owner who bought it in 1971 from the original owner when it had 5,000 miles on it.  It's a little rough with some rust around the quarters, trunk floor needs to be replaced and headliner is shot....but the car starts and runs.  Being that I've never owned a Mopar before I'm trying to get a sense of how rare and desirable this car is. Especially because it has the Shaker hood, Leather Interior and rear Louvers.  Any idea how many 71 Cuda 383 Automatic with Shakers were produced?  I plan on restoring the car but would like to know how far I should go with it?  Here are the codes on the fender tags.  If someone could kindly break it down for me it would be much appreciated.  Also, how can I tell if it has the 727 Torqueflight transmission and/or a Dana rear?  Thanks in advance!    1st Tag- J81 L25 L31 L34 M21 CTD G36 J25 J45 J68 J78 A62 B51 C16 C55 C62 G15 V1X U A01 A21 A36 A45 EV2 SRX9 000 401 001220 E65 D32   2nd Tag-N85 N96 R35 26 EN2 M25 M31 M88 N41 N42 .....Oh yeah, the car has the Magnum 500 wheels on it!

anlauto

That car is well deserving of a full ground up restoration. :alan2cents:

Great car. Likely worth about $35K-$40K as it sits.

Welcome to the best E Body website in the world :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1971Y13

Congrats to the buy and  :welcome: to the site from Sweden  :sweden: :unitedstates:
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

Smallblock340

Great project car!  :welcome: to the site from Netherlands!  :twothumbsup:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

xx88man

:welcome:  that is an awesome project car you have there in one of the best colours! Shaker to boot. Many here will be jealous. Your car came with a 727 transmission but probably not a Dana rear. If the gear set comes out the front of your diff it's an 8 3/4 rear..... they're tough!
Keep yer foot in it

76orangewagon

Welcome to the site..great car !!! To answer your questions the easy way the tell difference between the 904 and 727 transmission is by the shape of the pan and the Dana will have bolts facing the gas tank, Your 383 Automatic came from the factory with a 8 3/4 rear axle(which looks like the second Pic) and according to the 020 code on your broadcast sheet was a 3.55 sure grip with 10" drum brakes. There are Vin Decoder that you can fill in and it will break down all the fender tag options...

Cuda Cody

That is an amazing Cuda.   :clapping:  Welcome to the forum @fuscobros   :welcome:

anlauto

J81-REAR SPOILER
L25-TRUNK LIGHT
L31-FENDER TURN SIGNALS
L34-ROAD LAMPS
M21-DRIP RAIL MOLDFINGS
CTD-CONTINUED
G36-DUAL PAINTED RACING MIRRORS
J25-3SPD WIPERS
J45-HOOD PINS
J68-REAR LOUVERS
J78-FRONT SPOILERS
A62-RALLY DASH
B51-POWER BRAKES
C16-CONSOLE
C55-BUCKET SEATS
C62-6-WAY ADJUSTABLE DRIVERS SEAT
G15-TINTED WINDSHIELD
V1X-BLACK VINYL ROOF
U-BUILT USA SPECS
A01-LIGHT PACKAGE
A21-FRONT RUBBER BUMPER
A36-3:55 AXLE PACKAGE
A45-SPOILER PACKAGE
EV2-TOR-RED PAINT
SRX9-BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR
000-NO UPPER DOOR FRAME PAINT COLOUR
401-APRIL FOOLS DAY SCHEDULED CAR :D
001220-VEHICLE ORDER NUMBER
E65-383 4BBL
D32-727 AUTOMATIC
N85-TACHOMETER
N96-SHAKER HOOD
R35-AM/FM RADIO
26-26" RADIATOR
EN2-END OF LINE TWO
M25-BODY SILL MOLDINGS
M31-BELT MOLDINGS
M88-TAIL PANEL MOLDINGS
N41-DUAL EXHAUST
N42-EXHAUST TIPS
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Interesting that the grill is argent and not orange which it is supposed to be. :thinking:

...and that the shaker is argent and not black like it should be  :huh:

does anybody have pictures of it when it was new ?

72hemi

Wow! What an extremely rare and beautifully optioned 'cuda you have there! Congrats and welcome to the Mopar world!
Life's too short to drive boring cars

dodgemania

fuscobros

fuscobros

Thanks...guess I better start saving up for the rotisserie resto!

fuscobros

fuscobros